Live updates

Death of Kent student Matt Carapiet after Nepalese earthquake confirmed

Student Matt Carapiet from Kent has been confirmed as one of the casualties in the Nepalese earthquake

The family of an architecture student from Kent who was reported missing after the Nepalese earthquake have confirmed his death.

Matt Carapiet, aged 23, from Bearsted had been trekking in Nepal when the earthquake struck.

It is with great sadness that we can confirm that Matt passed away in the earthquake on April 25.

Matt was a much-loved son, brother, grandson and nephew. He also had a caring group of friends, who all have precious memories of how kind, happy, creative and brilliant he was. He made a huge impression on the lives of everyone he met.

Matt was touring Asia in a gap year before planning to continue his architecture studies in the autumn. He spoke to us regularly about how much he was enjoying his travels and we know he was doing something that he loved. He had been trekking in Nepal for two weeks before the earthquake.

The family is very grateful to everyone who has prayed for Matt and who put so much effort into spreading his picture and helping us to find him. We would like to ask for privacy at this difficult time but we will post a tribute to Matt in the coming days.

– Bring Matt Carapiet Home, Facebook page
  1. Sarah Saunders @SSaundersITV

Grief for families in the South East as earthquake victims named

There was grief and relief for families in Kent and Sussex today as more casualties of the Nepal earthquake were named and survivors flew home to emotional reunions. Heartbroken members of the Nepalese community in Kent described losing generations of their families. And - as they arrived home this morning - two Sussex survivors of the earthquake spoke of their fears for those left behind. Sarah Saunders spoke to Bhimraj Tumbahamphe of the Gurkha Peace Foundation.

Advertisement

Army officer in court on Nepal torture charges

A Nepalese army officer from Hastings is due to appear at the Old Bailey charged with two counts of torture.

Colonel Kumar Lama, 46, of St Peters Road, is accused of inflicting severe pain or suffering when he was acting in an official capacity.

The offences are said to have taken place in 2005 at the Gorusinghe Army Barracks, Kapilvastu, Nepal.

Lama, who has served in the Nepalese Army since 1984, was in charge of the barracks at the time, during the Himalayan nation's decade-long Maoist insurgency.

The charges relate to two men, Janak Bahadur Raut and Karam Hussain.

Lama, who has indefinite leave to remain in the UK, had been serving as a UN peacekeeper in South Sudan.

He was due to return to the country after spending Christmas in East Sussex before his arrest.

Court appearance follows Sussex arrest

The offences are alleged to have taken place between April 15 2005 and May 1 2005, and April 15 2005 and October 31 2005 at the Gorusinghe Army Barracks, Kapilvastu, Nepal.

These time periods fall within the Himalayan's nation's decade-long Maoist insurgency.

The government of Nepal summoned the British ambassador in Kathmandu to protest over the officer's arrest.

Nepal officials said Col Lama is serving as a military observer under the UN Mission in Southern Sudan and was on a holiday in London.

Scotland Yard said the arrest did not take place at the request of Nepali authorities

Torture case: Colonel in court

A Nepalese army officer has appeared in court charged with two counts of torture.

Colonel Kumar Lama, 46, of St Peters Road, Hastings, is accused of inflicting severe pain or suffering when he was acting in an official capacity.

Lama, who has indefinite leave to remain in the UK, spoke only to confirm his identity when he appeared at Westminster Magistrates' Court.

He is currently serving as a UN peacekeeper in South Sudan and had been due to return to Africa today after spending Christmas in East Sussex, the court heard.

He is currently serving as a UN peacekeeper in South Sudan and had been due to return to Africa today after spending Christmas in East Sussex, the court heard.

The offences are said to have taken place in 2005, at the Gorusinghe Army Barracks, Kapilvastu, Nepal.

Advertisement

Man arrested over torture allegations

Scotland Yard has confirmed the arrest of a 46-year-old man in East Sussex on suspicion of torture carried out during the civil war in Nepal.

Counter-terrorism officers held the man in St Leonards-on-Sea and he is being questioned at a police station in the county.

The unit is responsible for investigating alleged war crimes and human rights abuses, and the arrest relates to claims that acts of torture were committed in Nepal in 2005.

Load more updates