Live updates


Police want to speak to this man after bank threat

On Thursday 28 March, 2013, at around 2pm, a man reportedly entered the Lloyds TSB Bank in High Street, New Romney and made an attempt to rob the bank.

He demanded cash and threatened staff before leaving the bank empty-handed.

The suspect is described as in his 60s, of stocky build and was wearing a dark coloured heavy jacket, blue jeans and a distinctive aviator style dark coloured hat.

Officers investigating the two incidents are looking into the possibility they are linked.

Anyone who knows the man or has information about his whereabouts is asked to ring Kent Police on 101, quoting ZY/28750/12 or Kent Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

CCTV footage released after hotel bomb claim

Police investigating two serious incidents in Hythe and New Romney have released CCTV footage of two men they would like to trace.

Just before 10.30am on Friday 28 September 2012, a man entered the Hythe Imperial Hotel in Princes Parade, Hythe and made threats towards a member of staff.

He then demanded to see the manager and it was reported he produced a handgun, allegedly demanded a large amount of money and claimed there was a bomb in the hotel before leaving.

No device was found after the hotel was evacuated.

The suspect is described as in his 60s, white, of medium build, with grey receding hair, tanned complexion and blue eyes. He was wearing a beige raincoat, dark coloured trousers, a smart shirt, smart black shoes and was carrying a dark coloured bag with a handle and strap.

Man assaulted and left lying in snow

Police are appealing for witnesses after a man was assaulted and left lying in the snow in New Romney.

The 34-year-old man says he had left a pub in search of something to eat when he was confronted by two men in Church Approach.

The two men demanded he empty his pockets but when he didn't, he was hit on the head and fell to the ground.

The assault happened at about 12.45am on Saturday 19th January 2013.

The man, who is from South Wales and was working in the area, was taken to the William Harvey Hospital in Ashford to be treated for an injury to his face. He was released from hospital on Monday afternoon.