Video. The RNLI has provided dramatic footage of their search for 14-year-old Dylan Alkins at Newhaven.
The boy, missing after being swept out to sea, is reported to be 14-year-old Dylan Alkins. A helicopter and lifeboat search was launched. Dylan had been playing with a friend yesterday afternoon. He disappeared under the waves.
A 14-year-old boy who got into difficulties in the sea at Newhaven on Sunday afternoon has still not been found. Search and Rescue teams will make a decision this morning on whether to continue their efforts.
We witnessed the tragic power of the sea at Newhaven yesterday and our thoughts are with the family and friends of the young lad who is sadly still missing. I don't want to see that repeated."
In Newhaven in East Sussex the family of a teenage boy swept into the sea was said to be "distraught". The 14-year-old was playing in the surf at Newhaven when he disappeared. He's still missing and feared dead. The search for him has been called off.
The search operation for the missing boy reported to have been swept away off the coast at Newhaven has been stood down for tonight. It will resume again in the morning. The emergency services have been praised for their efforts in atrocious conditions.
These grainy images from the RNLI video released this evening gave some indication of the appalling conditions which the Coastguard and lifeboat crews are working in as they try and find the missing 14-year-old boy off Newshaven, Sussex.
The RNLI video shows the lifeboat crew searching off the Sussex coast for the 14-year-old boy who is reported to have been swept out to sea late this afternoon. Conditions for the crew are treacherous. They are assisted by the Coastguard search and rescue helicopter.
Solent Coastguard Watch Manager, Steve Mann said
This weekend we have been expecting hurricane-force winds and we are urging people to take extra care.
The crashing waves are spectacular to watch but also extremely dangerous. HM Coastguard’s advice is simple: don’t take risks. But if you do get into difficulty, or spot someone who might be in trouble, call 999 and ask for the Coastguard.
Solent Coastguard have issued the following statement about the missing 14-year-old boy feared to have been swept away in stormy seas off Newhaven this afternoon.
Solent Coastguard are searching for a missing boy who was last seen playing in the surf at West Beach, Newhaven approximately 10 meters offshore.
Solent Coastguard was alerted to the missing boy via 999 calls and the local National Coast watch Institution. Coastguard Rescue Teams from Newhaven and Burling Gap are searching the area.
Solent Coastguard requested the Newhaven RNLI lifeboat to the scene, a Coastguard Rescue helicopter is also searching for the boy.
The search conditions on scene are very difficult for the rescue teams involved, with rough seas and poor visibility.
The boy is believed to come from the local area and has not yet been named. He is said to have been in the sea just after 4pm this afternoon with a friend when he disappeared.
Sussex Police began searching their area assisted by the local coastguard and other emergency services around the West Beach area of Newhaven.