The guidelines by the government's health advisory board, NICE, mean more couples are eligible for treatment.
Today's fertility treatment guidelines offer hope to couples unable to conceive, but they need to be properly implemented, across the NHS.
Medway NHS Foundation Trust sentenced for safety failings after a patient died following fall from window at Medway Maritime Hospital
Dr Clare Searle, who works as a GP says the guidelines from NICE are not about addressing social change, but about taking advantage of clinical effectiveness.
The guidelines from NICE also recommend the following:
- IVF treatment for eligible women who have been unable to conceive after two years of regular intercourse - one year earlier than previously recommended
- Women who have been having artificial insemination, which can include same-sex couples
- Women aged 40-42 who have not conceived after two years of regular unprotected intercourse or 12 cycles of artificial insemination should be offered one full cycle of IVF, if they have never previously had IVF treatment
- Where women are under 40, and have not conceived after two years of regular intercourse or 12 cycles of artificial insemination, three cycles of IVF should be offered
The health watchdog NICE says women between the ages of 40 and 42 should be offered IVF on the NHS in England and Wales if they are having fertility problems. Previously, NICE did not recommend IVF for women older than 39.
NICE says is has been able to change its guidance because of a number of key medical advances.
The guidance does not apply to Northern Ireland or Scotland.
VIDEO: A Kent hospital has apologised after a patient fell to his death from a window. Management at Medway Maritime Hospital pleaded guilty to breaching health and safety laws following the death of a 45-year old man from Gillingham. Derek Johnson reports.
A doctor based at Southampton General Hospital was assaulted as she was walking to work on Olive Road, Southampton on Monday, January 14, sometime between 8.45 and 9.15pm. The doctor was alerted by a man who was crouching down in undergrowth and appeared to be injured.
When the woman went to assist him he demanded money, punched her and a struggle ensued. The victim was able to fight off her attacker and made her escape. The victim wasable to fight off her attacker and made her escape.
The man had a pale pale complexion, was ikn his early 20s, 5ft 11 inches tall approximately, slim build with a short fringe.
In a letter given to passengers when they boarded the P&O cruise liner Oriana ten days ago, the medical team admits that some passengers on a previous sailing had suffered from norovirus symptoms.
The company arranged for the liner to undergo an "extensive disinfection" while she was in Southampton. Some 300 passengers contracted norovirus during their trip.
Daybreak's Health Editor, Dr Hilary Jones, has told viewers how to stop the spread of the winter vomiting bug, the norovirus.
Health measures have been put in place on the cruise ship Oriana to prevent the spread of norovirus.
Suffering passengers have been asked to isolate themselves in their rooms and not leave the boat for day trips.
A spokeswoman for P&O Cruises said that six people on board have active symptoms today, but she was not able to confirm how many people have been affected in total.
Any medical charges incurred as a direct result of the outbreak will be covered by the company, the spokeswoman confirmed.
The Health Protection Agency (HPA) has warned that for every confirmed case of the stomach bug, there are likely to be a further 288 unreported sufferers.
There have been 2,630 confirmed cases so far this season, meaning that the real number could be 757,440.
A spokesperson for the HPA said: "Laboratory confirmed reports represent only a small proportion of the actual amount of norovirus activity in the community, because the vast majority of affected people do not access health care services as a result of their illness."