Three more men have been convicted in connection with the exploitation of young girls, as part of the Thames Valley Police investigation, Operation Bullfinch. Cary Johnston reports.
Thames Valley Police has arrested a 26-year-old man this morning in connection with the Operation Bullfinch trial.
The man from Maidenhead, Berkshire, has been arrested on suspicion of rape, aiding anf abetting rape and sexual assault.
The allegations relate to two victims - aged 15 and 17 years old at the time.
The man remains in police custody at this time for questioning.
Riaz Ahmed, the Chairman of the Madina Mosque in Oxford spoke out today, saying there is no place for child abuse in the Muslim culture, religion or society.
Muslims in the South heard sermons today condemning people who groom and abuse children.
It follows Operation Bullfinch, an investigation into a paedophile gang in Oxford which targetted vulnerable girls - many in care, one as young as 11 - and abused them. Seven men were jailed, yesterday, for a total of 95 years.
Imams and other religious leaders addressed their congregations following Friday prayers to highlight the Koran's teachings against sexual indecency. They also called on communities of all faiths to work together to protect children.
The judge said they preyed on young girls, who no one would believe - and, in the end, they stole their souls. Today, seven men - guilty of child exploitation - have been sentenced to a total of 95 years.
The gang preyed on the most vulnerable girls - many in care homes. One as young as 11. They were groomed, raped - and sold as prostitutes.
They targeted their first victim in 2006. But, today at the Old Bailey, they were finally brought to justice.
The Crown Prosecution Service has appealed to the victims of child abuse to come forward after they secured the successful prosecution of seven men in Oxford.
The NSPCC says that the authorities in Oxfordshire did not take action soon enough to stop the abuse of young vulenerable women in care.
Peter Wanless, the NSPCC CEO said: "“Whilst we recognise the authorities in Oxford did eventually take effective and coordinated action, this took far too long".
"There was a systematic failure to stop the gang earlier and protect the girls who raised the alarm on several occasions".
"The trial revealed that staff knew one of the girls was being sexually groomed yet no immediate action was taken".
" We need a fundamental shift in how the system treats vulnerable young people with all carers acting as good parents would when children are at risk".
“The positive development from all of this is that professionals are now treating the girls as victims and not delinquent children".
A judge at the Old Bailey has praised the victims of a child abuse ring in Oxford for having the "courage to give testimony".
Judge Peter Rook said the victims had come "knowing they would be accused of lying, knowing they would have to relive their ordeals, knowing that they had not been believed in the past".
Seven members of a sadistic paedophile ring will appear in court for sentencing today after being found guilty of grooming vulnerable underage girls for sexual exploitation.
Two sets of brothers, Akhtar Dogar, 32, and Anjum Dogar, 31, and Mohammed Karrar, 38, and Bassam Karrar, 33, were convicted along with Kamar Jamil, 27, Assad Hussain, 32, and Zeeshan Ahmed, 27, of charges including rape, trafficking and organising prostitution.
They were found guilty last month following a five-month trial at the Old Bailey during which the jury was told the gang sexually exploited girls as young as 11 between 2004 and last year in the Oxford area.