An 82-year-old man from Berkshire has been arrested on suspicion of sexual offences as part of the Jimmy Savile sex abuse investigation, the Metropolitan Police said.
The pensioner is one of 11 people arrested so far under Operation Yewtree - the Met's investigation into alleged offending by Savile and "others".
A Scotland Yard spokesman said that the man, who has not been named, was interviewed under caution on November 29 last year, five days after a search warrant was executed at an address in Berkshire. He has been bailed until May, while further inquiries are carried out.
The NSPCC says Savile hid in plain sight behind a veil of eccentricity and deceived those from children to the top - including a Prime Minister. The charity says the ITV documentary opened the floodgates, with 800 children protected from abuse because of the publicity after the programme.
Savile's offending footprint was vast, predatory and opportunistic. He cannot face justice today, but we hope this report gives some comfort to his hundreds of victims. They have been listened to and taken seriously.
– Commander Peter Spindler, Police/NSPCC report author
I would like to take the opportunity to apologise for the shortcomings in the part played by the CPS in these cases. If this report and my apology are to serve their full purpose, then this must be seen as a watershed moment.
Detectives investigating the Jimmy Savile sex abuse scandal will publish a joint report with the NSPCC on Friday, as it emerged prosecutors had received a file on a man in his 60s.
Operation Yewtree officers handed a full file of evidence to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) last month on a man from London arrested on 10th December on suspicion of sexual offences.
And the CPS confirmed it is now giving investigative advice on a total of four men arrested, including a man in his 60s from Surrey, a man in his 80s from Berkshire, a man in his 70s from London, and most recently a man in his 60s from Warwickshire.