Work is underway today to make neighbouring buildings safe after a block of flats collapsed following an explosion at Osney Mead in Oxford.Read the full story ›
A roundup of the day's events at the scene of a major explosion at Osney mead in Oxford. Thames Valley Police have issued a photograph of a man who is missing, believed dead. Investigations continue into the cause of the fire. Residents who have been made to leave the area in an evacuation have been waiting to hear about access to their homes.
Our reporter Mary Stanley spoke to ITV Meridian presenters Fred Dinenage and Sangeeta Bhabra.
The police and fire services in Oxford have held a press conference to share the latest information about the explosion at a housing complex at Osney Mead.
A resident who was unaccounted for in the aftermath, has been named as Guido Schuette aged 48. He is described as 6ft tall, of a heavy build, with short grey hair and blue eyes. He is believed to walk with a limp and uses a crutch as well. His family have been informed and Thames Valley Police have issued a statement.
“Our strong hypothesis is that Guido died in the fire, and we are continuing to offer support to his family at this time.
“However while our search of the scene continues and this is not confirmed, one line of enquiry within the investigation is that Guido could be missing.
“Given the circumstances of the incident, we are asking members of the public not to approach Guido but to call 999 immediately.”
Police say one person is still unaccounted for after an explosion in which a building collapsed in Osney Mead in Oxford on Tuesday 14th January.
The Plain roundabout next to Magdalen Bridge is the most dangerous in the country outside London, with 45 reported accidents in 7 yearsRead the full story ›
David Cameron's mother has won an Oldie award for campaigning against the closure of a children's centre hit by cuts his government brought in.
Mary Cameron was crowned Mother Knows Best of the Year for her 10 000 strong petition opposing her local Conservative council shutting the facility in Oxfordshire, where she used to volunteer.
The centre was forced to close after a spending review under the former prime minister left councils in England facing a loss of 24 per cent in central government funding by 2020.
Ms Cameron signed a petition a year ago against plans to shut 44 children’s centres in and around her son’s former constituency of Witney.
Classics student Claudia Vulliamy turned a rejection letter from Oxford University into a thing of beauty.
She told ITV Meridian that she was disappointed not to be accepted but had the urge to turn the important letter into something.
She said: 'It was quick and intuitive - I suppose it was a therapeutic way of handling important news. I was shocked to find that it went viral!
"People have been so nice about it. I think it’s because it cheers people up to see something positive made out of rejection, especially for those who have just received similar news."
Claudia, who's from London, has been offered a place at Durham University. Her letter appeared on her instagram account. (flamboyant_aesthete)
Two Oxford farmers will lead a procession of cows in London this morning to celebrate the best of British livestock.
Two of Tina Russell and Simon Farmer's own cows will front the parade and will also be blessed in front of St Paul's Cathedral.
More than 200 farmers from across the UK will take part in the event which will also include calves, lambs and chickens.
The parents of the Muslim convert known as "Jihadi Jack" are to stand trial in January.
John Letts and Sally Lane from Oxfordshire are accused of sending hundreds of pounds to 20-year-old Jack Letts, who is believed to have joined Islamic State in 2014.
Letts and Lane have been charged with three counts of funding terrorism by allegedly sending their son £223 on September 2nd last year, £1,000 on December 31st, and £500 on January 4th.
Lane is also charged with two counts of attempting to send payments of £500 on January 4th. Letts, 55, and his 54-year-old wife, from Oxford, did not enter any pleas to the charges at the Old Bailey earlier today.
Nicholas Hilliard QC, the recorder for London, confirmed a trial date of January 9th. The trial, at the Old Bailey, is expected to last up to four weeks.
Jack Letts was suspected of being the first white Briton to join the terror group after he left his Oxford home and travelled to war-ravaged Syria in 2014.
The 20-year-old reportedly goes by the name Abu Mohammed and married an Iraqi woman with whom he has a son, Muhammed. His parents, of Chilswell Road in Oxford, were both released on bail.
The parents of a man from Oxford, thought to be a suspected terrorist, are due in court.
John Letts and Sally Lane are accused of sending hundreds of pounds to 20-year-old John Letts, who it's believed joined the Islamic State in 2014.
His parents have denied giving him money and pleaded not guilty to charges against them.