Live updates

Warnings after chip pan catches fire

The blaze was quickly extinguished

A smoke alarm prevented more serious damage after a chip pan caught fire at a flat in Oxford.

Fire crews were called to property in Meadow Lane at 9.21 pm on Saturday night.

The fire had been caused by an unattended chip pan left on the hob which had ignited and spread to the surrounding area.

The occupant was alerted to the fire by the activation of the smoke alarms.

The quick thinking of the occupant to close the kitchen door on the fire helped contain the fire to the kitchen and prevented fire spread and heavy smoke damage to the rest of the property.

The occupant was checked over by South Central Ambulance Service and was very fortunate not to have suffered any effects from the fire or smoke.

The occupant was very lucky not to have been injured.

This incident emphasises the importance of having at least one working smoke alarm on each level of your home which should be tested once a week. On this occasion the occupant was alerted to the fire by the smoke alarms which gave them time to evacuate the property safely.

The occupant took absolutely the correct action by evacuating immediately and I urge people to remember to ‘Get Out, Stay Out, Get the Fire and Rescue Service Out’ under circumstances such as this”.

– Incident Commander Michael Milling


Parents: 'We want to help others in memory of Elliot'

Elliot's parents want his legacy to live on by helping others

The family of a little boy from Oxford who died of leukaemia have launched a new charity in his memory. Elliot Cornfield's parents have launched' Elliot's Shed' - providing free specialist equipment and toys for the parents of children with Down's Syndrome to borrow. The items can be expensive to purchase. Penny Silvester reports.


Armed police patrol festivals in Southampton and Oxford

Armed police have been on duty as part of increased security measures at the Common People festivals in Southampton and Oxford. Organisers say they've only had one request for a ticket refund as a result of the Manchester bombing. Richard Jones reports.

Farmer fined £1,200 for leaving dead sheep on land

Library pictures Credit: ITV Meridian

An Oxfordshire farmer has been fined more than £1,200 for leaving rotting dead sheep on his land.

54 year old James Edward Hedges from Bletchingdon left five carcasses on fields at Wolvercote.

Oxfordshire County Council's Trading Standards Service found Hedges also failed to keep essential records to prevent disease outbreaks and protect the health of both humans and livestock.

Library pictures Credit: ITV Meridian

“This result acts as a reminder of the importance of maintaining good farming standards and should reassure the public that action will be taken, when necessary, to protect consumers.”

– Councillor Judith Heathcoat, Oxfordshire County Council's Cabinet Member for Trading Standards

“Uncontrolled animal by-products can present a risk to both human and animal health and the legislation is there to safeguard the food chain and to prevent the spread of animal diseases. Fallen stock should be safely and suitably handled, with measures taken, without undue delay, to stop other animals and wild birds having access to it."

“Equally, whilst the use of veterinary medicines can be essential in preventing and treating disease, livestock owners have a duty to record such usage details, to ensure that animal products, such as meat and milk, are free from medicine residue, at the time it enters the food chain. Without appropriate record keeping, it is impossible to evidence when this is safe to do so.”

– Jody Kerman, Oxfordshire County Council’s Trading Standards Operations Manager

Student halls evacuated after unattended cooking catches fire

Credit: Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service

A student block in Oxford had to be evacuated overnight after unattended cooking caught fire.

Crews were called to halls of residence in Headington at 2.30am after smoke was seen coming from a kitchen window.

Firefighters said they were lucky to have been called so quickly as the blaze would have spread very fast.

Station Manager Will McPhail said “ The residents of this block were lucky the fire was not more serious, cooking should never be left unattended, it is easy to become distracted and forget to check on it, especially after a night out.

If you are hungry after a night out we would urge people to order food rather than to cook, preventing occurrences such as this.”

New commuter trains to cut overcrowding

The first of a new generation of electric commuter trains to cut overcrowding in the Thames Valley is being introduced on the network on Monday.

The first trains will run from Maidenhead - but the £2.8 billion project remains late and over budget with work to Oxford, Swindon, Newbury and Basingstoke still to be completed.

Our Transport Correspondent Mike Pearse has been given exclusive access to the new carriages at Maidenhead.

Mike spoke to commuter Jon Swab, Andy Mellors from Great Western Railway and Martin Coker from the Maidenhead Passengers Association.

Load more updates