Firefighters were called to the Randolph Hotel in Oxford to deal with a fire in a bedroom at the site last night.
The alert was raised following a fire alarm going off at about 11.40pm. Two fire engines from Rewley Road fire station attended the incident. They reported seeing light smoke, and the presence of a strong smell of burning coming from a first floor room.
The two elderly people staying in the room were taken to safety by staff. One woman was treated for the effects of breathing in smoke.
The incident commander from Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service issued a warning for people to check their portable electrical appliances.
It is believed that the fire at the 5-star hotel was sparked inside an electrical nebulizer which overheated. The devices can help with medical treatments for breathing - for example for people with asthma.
Drivers are being warned of more difficult driving conditions as winter approaches.
This follows a collision on the M40 in Oxfordshire yesterday involving four cars.
Thames Valley Police closed all lanes of the southbound carriageway while emergency services worked to clear the road and attend to the casualties.
Fire and Rescue Incident Commander, John Callaway, from Banbury said, “This was a high speed collision on a fast road, it is remarkable that nobody lost their life.
This is the second serious multiple vehicle collision that has happened on the M40 in Oxfordshire over the last two days and the seventh road traffic collision that Banbury have attended in under a week.
With the onset of winter and more difficult driving conditions, I urge drivers to allow more time for their journey and adjust their driving accordingly, taking into account weather conditions.”
Oxfordshire firefighters have met an ambitious lifesaving target two years ahead of schedule. In 2006 the service launched its 365Alive project to use education to help save lives.
Eight years later it's already saved the economy well over a hundred million pounds and has saved almost four hundred lives.
ITV Meridian spoke to David Etheridge from Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service.
Tributes have been left at the scene of a fire which claimed the life of an elderly woman.
The body of a woman in her seventies was found after a fire at a house in Woodstock in Oxfordshire.
Around twenty firefighters were called to the property on Green Lane at about 1.30am yesterday.
Thames Valley Police said the fire is not believed to be suspicious at this stage of their investigation. The woman's next-of-kin have been informed.
The body of a woman in her seventies has been found after a fire at a house in Woodstock in Oxfordshire. Around twenty firefighters were called to the property on Green Lane at about 1.30am this morning.
Thames Valley Police said the fire is not believed to be suspicious at this stage of their investigation.
The woman's next-of-kin have been informed.
Nine people have been rescued from a house on fire in Barton this morning.
Firefighters were called to the scene in Bernwood Road at around 6.50am after a blaze spread from a caravan to a house.
Three people have been taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital following the incident.
Thames Valley Police and Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service are working together to establish the cause of the fire.
Police are appealing for any information surrounding the incident and urge people to contact 101.
A chimney fire spread through the roof of the White Horse Public House in Duns Tew in North Oxfordshire on the night of Saturday 6th April 2013. No-one was hurt. Around twenty firefighters from Oxfordshire County Council's Fire & Rescue Service attended the blaze.
The pub landlady, Sarah Inwood, said villagers had helped with the clean-up overnight. She thanked both her neighbours and the fire service. The damage has been secured with scaffolding, and builders are working on repairs. The pub was open for Sunday lunch.
A woman has died in a house fire in Thame in Oxfordshire. Oxfordshire County Council Fire & Rescue Service were called to the property at Green Way in the town at about 3.25pm on Wednesday 20 February. There was a fire in the living room and heavy smoke throughout the building.
The fire service and Thames Valley Police are carrying out a joint investigation.
A pregnant woman has had to be rescued from a burning house in Oxfordshire overnight. She was trapped along with a man in a flat two floors above a cafe in Market Place, Banbury at around 3.15am. The cause of the fire is thought to have been a faulty electrical appliance.