Live updates

Driver escapes lorry fire in Oxfordshire

The lorry was alight by the side of a road Credit: Oxfordshire Fire & Rescue Service

A lorry driver has had a lucky escape after the cab of his vehicle caught fire in Crawley near Witney in Oxfordshire.

Firefighters from Oxfordshire Fire & Rescue Service said the blaze had started to spread to nearby embankments and oil was had started to run down the road towards a nearby river when they reached the scene.

The crews from two fire engines tackled the flames and used the environmental protection equipment to prevent the oil running into the nearby river.

The burnt out shell of the lorry Credit: Oxfordshire Fire & Rescue Service

Mum snatches toddler from electric car fire

The charred remains of the toy car

A toddler has been pulled from an electric toy car - minutes before it went up in flames.

The two-year-old was playing in the family garden in Monks Risborough in Buckinghamshire when the toy began to give off smoke. His quick-thinking mother managed to pull him clear. The fire spread to a five metre section of hedges. Firefighters from Thame were called - they used a high pressure hose jet to put out the flames. No-one was injured.

Trading Standards officers are investigating

“The toddler was driving the ride on electric car when his mother noticed smoke coming from the front of it. She quickly ran up the garden and pulled her 2 year old son from the car just before it was engulfed in flames. Her prompt action definitely saved him from serious injury. This incident has been reported to Buckinghamshire County Council’s Trading Standards service."

– Incident Commander Watch Manger Andy Ford, Oxfordshire County Council Fire and Rescue Service

Advertisement

Fire crews called to fire at Hotel after alarm alert

The Randolph Hotel was badly damaged by a fire in April 2015

Firefighters were called to the Randolph Hotel in Oxford to deal with a fire in a bedroom at the site last night.

The alert was raised following a fire alarm going off at about 11.40pm. Two fire engines from Rewley Road fire station attended the incident. They reported seeing light smoke, and the presence of a strong smell of burning coming from a first floor room.

The two elderly people staying in the room were taken to safety by staff. One woman was treated for the effects of breathing in smoke.

The incident commander from Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service issued a warning for people to check their portable electrical appliances.

It is believed that the fire at the 5-star hotel was sparked inside an electrical nebulizer which overheated. The devices can help with medical treatments for breathing - for example for people with asthma.

“I would urge the public to review the condition of their portable electrical appliances in relation to any signs of damage, wear and tear and replace if necessary. Fortunately, the hotel had a fire alarm system, which alerted all persons and allowed plenty of time for emergency evacuation procedures to be put into place”.

– Incident Commander, Watch Manager Ricky Thomas, Oxfordshire County Council Fire & Rescue Service

Fire officers warn drivers of winter weather conditions

M40 closed at crash site Credit: Oxfordshire Fire Service

Drivers are being warned of more difficult driving conditions as winter approaches.

This follows a collision on the M40 in Oxfordshire yesterday involving four cars.

Thames Valley Police closed all lanes of the southbound carriageway while emergency services worked to clear the road and attend to the casualties.

Fire and Rescue Incident Commander, John Callaway, from Banbury said, “This was a high speed collision on a fast road, it is remarkable that nobody lost their life.

This is the second serious multiple vehicle collision that has happened on the M40 in Oxfordshire over the last two days and the seventh road traffic collision that Banbury have attended in under a week.

With the onset of winter and more difficult driving conditions, I urge drivers to allow more time for their journey and adjust their driving accordingly, taking into account weather conditions.”

Fire crews attending blaze at Bicester Village

Advertisement

365 Alive Project hailed a success

Oxfordshire firefighters have met an ambitious lifesaving target two years ahead of schedule. In 2006 the service launched its 365Alive project to use education to help save lives.

Eight years later it's already saved the economy well over a hundred million pounds and has saved almost four hundred lives.

ITV Meridian spoke to David Etheridge from Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service.

Woman dies after house fire in Oxfordshire

Tributes have been left at the scene of a fire which claimed the life of an elderly woman.

The body of a woman in her seventies was found after a fire at a house in Woodstock in Oxfordshire.

Around twenty firefighters were called to the property on Green Lane at about 1.30am yesterday.

Thames Valley Police said the fire is not believed to be suspicious at this stage of their investigation. The woman's next-of-kin have been informed.

Woman's body found after fire in Woodstock

The body of a woman in her seventies has been found after a fire at a house in Woodstock in Oxfordshire. Around twenty firefighters were called to the property on Green Lane at about 1.30am this morning.

Thames Valley Police said the fire is not believed to be suspicious at this stage of their investigation.

The woman's next-of-kin have been informed.

Barton house fire

Nine people have been rescued from a house on fire in Barton this morning.

Firefighters were called to the scene in Bernwood Road at around 6.50am after a blaze spread from a caravan to a house.

Three people have been taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital following the incident.

Thames Valley Police and Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service are working together to establish the cause of the fire.

Police are appealing for any information surrounding the incident and urge people to contact 101.

Load more updates