Live updates

Act of bravery awarded to man who died saving girl

A man who drowned trying to rescue a young girl as she was swept out to sea has been awarded with a bravery award from the Queen.

Plamen Petkov has received the Queen's Gallantry Medal, which is given for acts of bravery of a high order.

Petkov rescued 5-year-old Darleen Myint from the water of West Wittering beach in West Sussex on 26th May 2012.

She was being swept out to sea in very strong winds and a strong undercurrent, but Petkov leapt into the water and saved her.

Tragically, he was overcome with exhaustion and was swept away.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office have written to the Bulgarian government to make them aware of the award.

Mr Petkov's mother will receive the award on his behalf at Buckingham Palace.

Plamen Petkov Credit: Sussex Police

Accidental death of 'extraordinarily brave' rescuer

A coroner today hailed an "extraordinarily brave" man who drowned saving a young girl who was being swept out to sea. Bulgarian Plamen Petkov, 32, gave no thought to his own safety as he leapt into the water off West Wittering, West Sussex, on May 26, to rescue five-year-old Darleen Myint.

West Sussex Assistant Deputy Coroner Joe Turner praised Mr Petkov's actions as he was overcome with exhaustion and was tragically swept away. He recorded a verdict of accidental death. The youngster's mother, San Thidar Myint, called him a "brave and honourable man" who had not hesitated to help.


Inquest for hero who died saving drowning child

An inquest is due to be held today into the death of a man who drowned trying to rescue a young girl from London as she was being swept out to sea.

Plamen Petkov, 32, entered the water at West Wittering, Sussex, after the five-year-old was being carried away by the tide.

The Bulgarian managed to reach the girl and pass her to a woman who brought her back to her family on the shore in May.

But Mr Petkov, of Westmoreland Drive, Sutton, failed to reach dry land himself and he was recovered unconscious from the water by others at the scene.

A post-mortem examination at St Richard's Hospital in Chichester confirmed he died from drowning.