Live updates

Sussex & Hampshire singers win Britain's Got Talent

ITV undated handout photo of Collabro Credit: ITV

Two singers from the Meridian region won this year's Britain's Got Talent. Labourer Richard Hadfield from Portslade (left) and former Petersfield schoolboy Michael Auger (second from left) are part of operatic boy band Collabro.

The five-piece musical theatre act impressed the judges and the voting public with their performance of Stars from the musical Les Miserables last night. Collabro pick up £250,000 and a slot performing at the Royal Variety Performance.

Five men and a woman arrested for affray in Portslade

Six people have been arrested for affray after a fight broke out on Boundary Road, Portslade.

Three men, two of them aged 20 and a 19-year-old were arrested for affray, along with a 17-year-old girl.

A further two men, aged 26 and 21, were also arrested for affray and assaulting a police officer.

Police were called to the fight at around 2am on Saturday 8th March, close to the junction with Portland Road.

All six have been bailed until the 4th or 5th April.

Detective Sergeant Simon Dunn from Sussex Police said, "We are keen to talk to anyone who may have witnessed the disturbance or who may have any information that could assist the police with their investigation."

Anyone who has information is urged to contact Sussex Police on 101, quoting 124 of 8/3.

Advertisement

Violent kidnapper 'pretended to be a spy'

Stephen Webber, 41, formerly of George William Mews, Portslade Credit: Sussex Police

Stephen Webber, 41, formerly of George William Mews, Portslade, has been found guilty of kidnap, causing grievous bodily harm, and threats to kill a 26-year-old woman, as well as criminal damage, after a nine-day trial at Hove Crown Court.

He was sentenced to nine years in jail, as well as a four year extended licence period upon his release from prison.

In sentencing Webber, Judge De-Mille described him as manipulative and a danger to the public, especially women.

His arrest followed the disappearance in April last year of the 26 year old he had befriended on the pretext of taking modelling photos.

Det Insp Mick Jones said: "Stephen Webber is clearly a dangerous individual whose deceit and manipulation led a vulnerable young woman into believing that he was a spy for MI5 and that they were both in life threatening danger.

"This led to the victim being too frightened to leave him over a five day period in which they travelled to Eastbourne, staying in local accommodation whilst their alleged pursuers hunted for them.

"The victim was so fearful of the situation presented by Webber that she was too afraid to attempt to escape. This led to the victim writing a goodbye note to her family as she feared that she would be killed at any time.

"When the mask that he wore began to drop and it became clear to him that his deceit was no longer working on the victim, he tried to smother her with a pillow and caused injuries to her with a knife during a struggle.

"The courage of the victim in giving evidence in this case is worthy of tribute. The defendant, by pleading not guilty, put the victim through the trauma of reliving her ordeal but she knew she had to in order to get justice and in doing so protect others from Webber.

"The jury clearly saw through Webber's lies. The public need to be protected from people who prey on others and the police will pursue anyone who does in order to bring them to justice."

Paedophile jailed for nearly 3 years

Spencer Charles Pledge has been jailed for nearly 3 years Credit: Sussex Police

A man from Portslade has been sent to prison for sexual offences relating to young children.

Spencer Charles Pledge, 36, of Chalky Road, Portslade, appeared in custody at Hove Crown Court on Friday 1st February, and was sentenced to a total of 34 months imprisonment.

He had pleaded guilty to the 18 offences at a hearing on 4th January.

42-year-old pedestrian dies after collision

Police were called to the westbound A27 at the junction with Steyning Road at 12.36am yesterday. An Audi had collided with the 42-year-old woman pedestrian who was in the carriageway. The pedestrian died at the scene from her injuries.

The A27 was closed for more than three hours while the emergency services attended the scene and police would like to thank motorists for their patience. Police are appealing for witnesses and anyone with information should contact 101 quoting Op Tallow.

Advertisement

Woman attacked in Portslade

Police in Sussex are investigating after a woman was dragged into bushes in Portslade.

Her attacker had tried to talk to her on a bus from Churchill Square in Brighton in the early hours of Sunday morning.

The 20-year-old woman was walking in Old Shoreham Road at about 4.20am when the man passed her.

As she turned into Foredown Drive he ran towards her, grabbing hold of her and dragging her towards some bushes. She told him to let her go and he did. She ran off and telephoned for help.

The man is described as black, around 30, 6', of slim build, with short curly black hair and a moustache.

Det Insp Mark Cullimore said: "This was a very disturbing for this young visitor to the UK. Fortunately, she managed to escape her attacker, but it is very important that we find this man.

"If you witnessed the incident we would like to hear from you on 101, quoting serial 308 of 13/05."