Live updates

Samurai sword stolen during burglary

This black samurai sword was taken from the Sea View Road area Credit: Hampshire Constabulary

Police officers in Portsmouth are appealing for witnesses after a samurai sword was stolen during a burglary in Portsmouth.

It happened between August 2nd and August 11th in the Sea View Road area.

The sword is black and has specific markings with a unique tag. It is approximately 3ft long and black and gold in colour.

If you saw any suspicious activity in this area on the days leading up to August 2 and before August 11 or if you have been offered a sword like this for sale then please get in contact.

Concern for man with dementia missing from Portsmouth

Police say they are becoming increasingly concerned for the welfare of a man with dementia, missing from Hampshire.

James David Barrett, 66, known as David, was last seen on Friday 7 August.

James David Barrett

He is also diabetic and takes medication daily, which he does not have with him.

Police are searching the Portsmouth area and Portsdown Hill, which he is known to visit.

He is described as white, slim, with short, grey hair.

Police are asking anyone with information to call 101, quoting the number 44150273357.

Advertisement

Choir to raise money for D-Day Museum

More than 300 singers from across Portsmouth will assemble in a huge choir to raise money for the city's D-Day Museum.

The attraction needs the funds to keep alive the memories of those who took part in the World War Two landings.

The concert is being held at Portsmouth Guildhall next month.

The choir will raise money for Portsmouth's D-Day Museum Credit: ITV Meridian

"The production of the CD and live recording experience will give a real boost to our Transformation Project that will continue to honour the valour of those who took part in D-Day long into the future."

– Roger Ching, the Chairperson of the Portsmouth D-Day Museum Trust

Health watchdog calls for more improvements at Portsmouth hospital

Patients brought in by ambulance continued to wait in a corridor, some for over an hour Credit: ITV Meridian

The Chief Inspector of Hospitals has said he is satisfied that urgent improvements have been made at Portsmouth's Queen Alexandra Hospital but the trust still has more work to do.

The health watchdog says that patients are still waiting too long to be admitted into wards. It follows inspections in February and June.

Following the inspection in February, the CQC issued two warning notices to the Trust requiring immediate improvements to be made in the Emergency Department to the initial assessment of patients, the safe delivery of care and treatment, and the management of emergency care. It says those needs have now been met.

During the latest inspection, CQC found that patients arriving by ambulance were being assessed within 15 minutes by a nurse. Staffing levels had improved taking into account the increase in the number of patients. Nurses were now allocated to the corridor areas in the Emergency Department organising activity to avoid the disorder that inspectors had previously seen.

But there were still delays for patients waiting to see specialist doctors and be admitted into wards. These delays in admissions meant that the department was often full and posed a risk to patients.

In a statement the hospital said: "We have made significant improvements within the Emergency Department, despite continuing to see exceptionally high rates of attendances and needs of our patients. We know that there is still work to do, and we are progressing with a detailed action plan to continue our programme of improvements, alongside our colleagues in the local healthcare system"

Restored Royal Navy warship to open as tourist attraction

HMS M.33 Credit: ITV news

A restored royal navy warship dating from the first world war is to open as a tourist attraction later this week. HMS M.33 is the only remaining British vessel involved in the 1915 Gallipoli campaign off Turkey. It will be berthed near Nelson's flagship HMS Victory and the Mary Rose Museum at Portsmouth's Historic Dockyard. Hampshire County Council and the National Museum of the Royal Navy have returned the vessel to her former glory with the help of £1.79 million pound heritage lottery grant.

Visitors have a chance to go below deck Credit: ITV news

Hampshire County Council Leader, Councillor Roy Perry said: "This is an important and fascinating piece of Hampshire's heritage - the only remaining British veteran of the Gallipoli campaign. I am very pleased that the County Council was able to save it for preservation as a fine example of marine heritage for which Hampshire, and in particular the Solent area, is famous. With tourism playing such a vital role in Hampshire's economy, our vision for the ship has always been to welcome the public aboard to see it, as a valuable education resource and tourist attraction. It is very fitting that we are able to do this, in time for it to be a part of the centenary commemorations of the Gallipoli Campaign."

HMS M.33 was acquired by Hampshire County Council's Museums Service in 1990 in order to preserve her heritage for future generations across the county, and the nation. In 2013, the County Council joined forces with the National Museum of the Royal Navy (NMRN) to bid for Heritage Lottery Fund support towards the extensive work required to preserve her.

New volunteer teams to help Portsmouth's elderly

Queen Alexandra Hospital launches new scheme Credit: ITV news

A new scheme to help prepare elderly patients return home after being discharged is being launched at Portsmouth's Queen Alexandra Hospital. Volunteers will assist with shopping, collecting prescriptions or medication, and transportation to medical appointments for up to six weeks. The measure has been found to halve the number of people having to be readmitted within three months.

The scheme will be run by the Royal Voluntary Service. Research conducted by the charity, assisted by the Kings Fund, identified that older people returning home from hospital without enough support are more than twice as likely to be readmitted within three months.

As part of the service, the volunteer will prepare the person's home, making sure the heating and lights are on and that the kitchen is stocked with essentials.

David McCullough, Chief Executive of Royal Voluntary Service said: "This service will mean more older people will receive the support of a caring volunteer who will be there to help them get back on their feet after a stay in hospital. We know that placing a volunteer at the centre of a person's recovery plan can make a huge difference."

Linda Field, Head of Nursing for Medicine for Older People, Rehabilitation and Stroke at Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust, said: "These volunteers will make a significant difference to the lives of older people after they are discharged from QA. Their support will be invaluable in helping our patients, some of whom may have been in hospital for a length of time, to settle back into their own homes. This ongoing support benefits patients hugely, and has a positive impact on physical health as well as emotional wellbeing.

Advertisement

73 year old man robbed during epileptic fit in Portsmouth

A 73 year old man has been robbed while suffering from an epileptic seizure in his own home. The man was alone in the house when he heard persistent knocking at his door. Still unwell, he managed to answer and found two men at the door. The men claimed to be from the water board and said they needed to sort out a problem inside his home.

One of the men went upstairs and the other to the kitchen. £50 was taken before both men left the house and appeared to meet up with a third man outside. They then men walked off towards an underpass.

The first man is described as white, early 30s, slim build, 5ft 10ins tall and wearing a white ‘windcheater’ jacket. The second man is described as white, between 30 and 40 years of age, stocky build, 5ft 7ins tall and wearing a black jacket and baseball hat.

Detective Constable Rebecca Brown said: “It appears the homeowner was targeted as a result of his vulnerability. It would have been clear to the offenders that the man was unwell. Allaway Avenue is a busy road which runs through Paulsgrove, someone must have seen these men. I would urge anyone with information to come forward.”

Police believe the robbery could be linked to a similar incident which was reported a few hours later in Windmill Lane at Bursledon. Three men were involved and a similar motive was used. £170 cash was taken from this address.

The America's Cup 'auld mug' officially arrives in Portsmouth

The America's Cup arrives in Portsmouth aboard a Navy assault craft Credit: Sarah Gomme/ITV Meridian
The America's Cup is the oldest sporting trophy in the world Credit: Sarah Gomme/ITV Meridian
Sir Ben Ainslie and Sir Keith Mills carry the America's Cup into the race village Credit: Sarah Gomme/ITV Meridian
Load more updates