Live updates

"Upstairs is completely gone - the kitchen is no longer." Fire destroys 17th century pub.

A landlord whose pub was almost completely destroyed by fire has vowed to try and re-open within 6 months.

40 fire-fighters tackled the flames at the Hooden on the Hill pub in Willesborough in Ashford, after the blaze was thought to have started in the kitchen.

Sarah Saunders spoke to landlord Howard Lapish and Rupert Roberts from Kent Fire and Rescue Service.

Additional footage from Lousie Kennett and stills courtesy of @Kent_999s

Man has jaw fractured after being assaulted outside pub

Police are appealing for information after a man was assaulted outside a pub in Alton.

The incident happened at around 1am on Saturday, November 8 when the 23-year-old victim was outside the White Horse public house on the High Street. He was assaulted by a man; during the assault he was struck and knocked unconscious.

The victim was taken to the North Hampshire Hospital for treatment for a fractured jaw and other facial injuries.

I would like to speak to anyone who witnessed what happened or anyone who has any other information that could assist our inquiry.

– Detective Constable Jonathan Swift


The Wild Rabbit wins Michelin Pub of the Year

It's a coveted award which most pub owners around the country can only dream of. But for one Oxfordshire pub, that dream has come true. The Wild Rabbit in the village of Kingham has become the Michelin Pub of the Year. Cary Johnston has been to find out how the owners have managed to pull a rabbit out of the hat.

Pub attack: Police statement

PC Francis Vasko, said: “I would like to speak to any members of the public, local residents or patrons of the First In Last Out pub who may have witnessed the assault.

“If you have any information please get in touch with us and tell us what you know in confidence.”

Two men, aged 28 and 30, both from Winchester, have been arrested on suspicion of assault occassioning actual bodily harm and have been released on police bail pending further enquiries. They are due to return on April 10.

Anyone with information should contact PC Vasko at North Walls police station on 101 or call Crimestoppers, the charity, anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Man attacked outside pub

Police are appealing for witnesses after a man was assaulted outside a Winchester pub.

The incident happened as the 49-year-old victim got out of a taxi outside the First In Last Out pub, in Wales Street, at around 12.20am on February 24

As he got out of the taxi two men outside the pub started shouting at him before one of them began to assault him.

The victim sustained abrasions to his face and a black eye, as well as cracks in the bones around his eye.

He attended the Royal Hampshire County Hospital for treatment and was referred to a specialist at Southampton General Hospital.


60 year old bar man attacked while collecting glasses

Police want to identify these two men Credit: Hampshire Police

A bar man has been attacked as he attempted to retrieve two glasses outside a pub in Portsmouth.

Four men had been ejected from the Clarence Gardens pub in London Road, North End for drunkenness and using foul language.

When a member of staff from Clarence Gardens went to retrieve two beer glasses taken from their premises he was punched in the face by one of the men near Barclays bank. The 60-year-old male victim sustained minor facial injuries.

It happened on Wednesday August 1st at around 6.15pm.

The men had also been ejected from a Wetherspoons pub nearby.

PC Nick Jackson said: “The victim was quite rightly trying to protect families from hearing offensive language and has been assaulted as a result. There would have been people on London Road who would have witnessed the incident as this is a busy area.”

Anyone with information, or recognises the men in the CCTV images, should contact PC Jackson at Fratton police station on 101

Kent pub prosecuted after man dies from fall

Previous owners of Crown pub in Shoreham prosecuted Credit: ITV Meridian

The previous owners of a pub have pleaded guilty at Sevenaoks Magistrates Court after a man fell through a open celar door and later died in hospital. It happened at the Crown in Shoreham in April 2010.

The management of the pub on the high street admitted failing to report the accident to the local authority. The 52 year old man broke his leg in the fall and while waiting for an operation on it, died of pneumonia. The pub now has different owners.