Live updates

Hampshire Police to pay rape victim £20,000

Hampshire Police has apologised to a rape victim and agreed to pay her a £20,000 out-of-court settlement after she was initially arrested by officers, according to a report.

Hampshire Constabulary has reached an agreement with the woman, named only as Laura, after she began proceedings against the force under the Human Rights Act.

She was arrested on suspicion of perverting the course of justice in 2012 after forensic tests on her clothes did not return a result. But the Crown Prosecution Service ordered it to be re-tested and her attacker was eventually jailed for five years in 2013.

Chief Superintendent David Powell admitted the initial handling of the case had been "poor". He was quoted as saying: "We have already personally apologised to the victim and her mother and I repeat here now that we are sorry for how we let her down.

"The initial officers involved did not treat this victim in a way that she or any other victim would deserve to be treated. We deeply regret this."

Addressing other sexual assault victims, he added: "We do believe you, we appreciate how hard it is to come forward to report these offences ... we are doing everything to ensure we never have an initial response like this again."

Rapist jailed for eight years

Emmanuel Mutandi has been sentenced to eight years in prison Credit: Dorset Police

A man who raped and assaulted a woman in Bournemouth has been sentenced to eight years in prison.

Emmanuel Mutandi, 22, from Bedfordshire, was found guilty of rape and assault at Bournemouth Crown Court today.

The court heard how Mutandi approached his victim at around 4.30am on Saturday 2 August 2014 along Southcote Road, Bournemouth.

He offered her £40 for sex, before he left to get money from a cash machine. When he returned they both went to a nearby church yard where he instead offered the victim £20. She protested and refused full intercourse, but agreed to perform another sexual act.

The victim then tried to walk away before Mutandi raped her and then punched her in the head, face and arms. He then demanded his money back.

The victim managed to escape and raise the alarm at a nearby house before she was taken to hospital.

“This was a vicious attack. It took great courage for the victim to come forward, report this crime and support the prosecution. I hope that this case shows that police take such allegations seriously and will fully support victims. I encourage any victims of sexual assault to come forward.”

– Detective Inspector Steve Symms, of Bournemouth CID


Man begins 20 year jail term for rape

Warren Manderson has been sentenced to 20 years in prison Credit: Sussex Police

A St Leonards man is starting a 20-year prison sentence for a series of seven rapes, and other attacks, on a 47-year old woman known to him.

Warren Manderson, 51, unemployed, of Terrace Road, St Leonards, was sentenced at Lewes Crown Court on Thursday 16 April, having been convicted by a unanimous jury verdict of seven rapes, an attempted rape, false imprisonment, actual bodily harm and two common assaults.

In sentencing Manderson, Judge Scott-Gall described Manderson as a 'conceited, nasty violent bully' and characterised his actions as ''dreadful, grotesque, violent degradation, horrible cowardly things to do, consistent with the man that you have become. You have shown not a flicker of remorse and are a deceitful, vicious, violent liar.'

Police were called to Manderson's flat in October last year after he gone out, locking the woman, who was in very distressed state, inside. As police arrived and were forcing the door open Manderson re-appeared outside, made to confront the officers, and was immediately arrested.

The woman then disclosed to detectives how she had been abused and sexually assaulted by Manderson over the previous two years.

"The victim was very brave first in disclosing to us this terrible sequence of events, which she had up to till then kept largely bottled up in her mind, and then giving the evidence against Manderson over several hours in court. We were able to reassure and support her throughout this process, ensuring that she was allowed to consider special measures whilst giving her evidence in court. However her bravery extended not only to giving evidence live in the court room, but without the additional benefit of screening between her and the defendant, stating that she wanted to regain control. This sentence again shows that victims can come and talk to the police in confidence, knowing that their experiences will be taken very seriously and fully investigated."

– Detective Constable Naomi Morrison

"I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely thank all those around me who have supported me through one of the most difficult times of my life. I am overjoyed to have gotten the justice that so many are afraid to fight for, but would like to assure all those women and men out there who are in or have been in a similar situation that it is never too late and that Sussex Police have supported me thoroughly throughout this whole event. There were times I felt I wanted to give up but it was the support of my family and friends that kept me going and for this I am forever grateful. Again I would like to assure those in abusive relationships that it is no longer acceptable and that you are not the ones making it happen! Just like me, you are and will be strong enough to get out of the situation, but need to speak up as too many of us hide behind fake smiles and pretend that everything is "OK" when truthfully it isn't."

– Victim

Woman pleads guilty to false allegation of rape

Nicole Richess, 20, from Bournemouth has pleaded guilty at Bournemouth Crown Court of perverting the course of public justice after falsely alleging that she had been raped by two soldiers now aged 23 and 24, when she was 18.

She will be sentenced on 26 march at Bournemouth Crown Court.

“Rape is a very serious criminal offence and happens when someone has not consented to a sexual act. Nicole Richess was not raped; she made two false allegations against two soldiers because she had been confronted by her boyfriend who had been made aware that she had been unfaithful. The investigation by Dorset Police into her allegations revealed that on Friday 9 November 2012, she went out for the evening with girlfriends in Bournemouth. They went clubbing and she, with one of her friends, met four young men, army soldiers. Nicole Richess then took the two soldiers to her home where they had sexual intercourse. What she did not know is that her boyfriend of three years would be aware of what happened through rumours, as a result he confronted her. Scared she started to make up stories and after three days of being pressurised by her boyfriend she went to the police and said she had been raped. She maintained her story during the police investigation, which quickly revealed discrepancies in her statement. Her selfishness and lies had serious consequences professionally and personally on the two young men, who had to be disciplined according to the Army Policy. The investigation went on their record and this limited their opportunities to be mobilised abroad. Their private lives had been exposed only because Nicole Richess could not take responsibility for her actions. We hope that with this conviction, they will be able to move on with their lives.”

– Sophie Stevens, Crown Prosecution Service

Rapist jailed for historic offences

A man from Hove has been sentenced to 15 years in prison for rape. Patrick Foley, who's 83 years old, was convicted of seven counts of rape against a girl, when she was aged between 11 and 18. The jury at Lewes Crown Court unanimously found him guilty of all seven counts between 1968 and 1975.

Rapist Patrick Foley jailed Credit: Sussex Police

The victim has had to live with this for the last forty years and this is a fantastic result for her. She has shown enormous courage in coming forward and talking to us about what she endured and now she has the justice she deserves. I would urge anyone who has suffered any form of historic abuse to also have the courage to come forward.

– Detective Constable Holly Hallahan


Rapist threatened to stab victim

Berhe Berhane thanked victim and threatened to kill her if she told anyone of ordeal Credit: Kent Police

A rapist who subjected his victim to a terrifying knifepoint ordeal and threatened to kill her if she told anyone has been jailed for 13 years.

Berhe Berhane, 22, from Willesborough in Ashford was sentenced to 16 years in total; 13 years in prison and a further three on licence, when he appeared at Canterbury Crown Court on Monday 24 November. He was found guilty of carrying out four charges of rape in Canterbury by a jury on Wednesday 15 October.

On one occasion in July 2012 he first tried to attack her after they had been out for the evening where he pushed her to the ground and tried to get on top of her, but she escaped.

Then in April 2014 she was staying at her boyfriend’s house and was woken by the noise the other housemates were making. Berhane then came into her room with a knife. He told the victim he was going to stab her if she didn’t do what he asked. He then forced her toperform a sex act on him and then forced her to have sex with him twice. He even told her she wasn’t showing enough enthusiasm.

After he had finished he got up and thanked his victim, threatened to kill her if she told anyone, and then walked out of the room. The victim said she felt scared to tell anyone in case he carried out his threat then got dressed and went to work. The victim did confide in a friend and reported the attacks. Berhane was arrested by Kent Police and charged on 21 April 2014.

This man subjected the victim to a terrifying ordeal and made threats to her life should she tell anyone. So I commend her bravery incoming forward and reporting what had happened to her. We would alwaysencourage victims to come forward. And now Berhane is locked away and unable to cause any more harm.

– Investigating officer Detective Constable Brigitte Collard

Man denied attack but later convicted of rape

Ross Gee sentenced to 11 years in prison for rape Credit: Kent Police

A man who raped a woman in her home after hitting her head repeatedly against a wall has been jailed for 11 years.

Ross Gee, 27, from Northfleet, also threw a mobile telephone at his victim’s face and threatened her with a knife, on Thursday10 April 2014.

He denied carrying out the attack but was sentenced at Maidstone Crown Court on Monday 24 November after being found guilty following a trial.

The court heard how Gee assaulted his victim after refusing to leave her house, first backing her into a corner before grabbing her by the throat.

He then dragged the woman to a different room, where he repeatedly hit her head against a wall before throwing a mobile telephone at her face.

Gee then went into the kitchen and returned with a knife,which he held against his victim’s face.

A short while later he forced the woman to perform a sex act on him before raping her.

Ross Gee is a violent man who viciously attacked and raped a woman but refused to accept responsibility for his actions. I am very pleased with the lengthy prison sentence he will now serve. He is a danger to women and belongs behind bars. I would like to pay tribute to Gee’s victim, who showed great courage in speaking about her ordeal in order to aid the investigation. Kent Police will always take seriously and investigate any allegations of sexual assault, and victims can rest assured they will be treated with care,sensitivity and compassion.

– Investigating officer Detective Constable Natalie Collin

Appeal for witnesses following rape in Brighton

Police are appealing for information after a 22-year-old woman was raped on the beach directly in front of the Coalition night club, Kings Road Arches, Brighton.

The attack took place in the early hours of Saturday (4 October). The suspect is aged about 25, with olive skin, of medium build and with short dark hair.

He was wearing a dark blue or black "puffa" style sleeveless jacket over a light-coloured long-sleeved top and jeans. He spoke with a foreign accent which was possibly Middle Eastern.

Anyone who noticed the suspect or his victim. or who may have other relevant information, is asked to email or phone 101, quoting serial 451 of 7/10.

Alternatively they can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers free and anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Man charged in connection with Oxford rape

Thames Valley Police has today charged a 41-year-old man in connection with a rape in Headington, Oxford.

Catalin Horhota, of no fixed abode, was charged with one count of rape; one count of attempted rape; two counts of sexual assault on a female; one count of burglary dwelling and theft; and one count of exposure.

The charges are in connection with incidents in a property in Roosevelt Drive, Oxford, on Saturday, in South Park on Sunday, in Abingdon police station yesterday and a burglary in Morrell Avenue, Oxford, on Thursday.

Horhota was remanded in custody to appear at Oxford Magistrates’ Court today.

Load more updates