Live updates

Fake taxi driver jailed for 11 years for rape

A fake taxi driver who raped a woman in Godstone has been sentenced at the Old Bailey to 11 years in prison.Paul Michael Causer, of Barfleur Lane, Deptford, was found guilty last month of the serious sexual assault in Bone Mill Lane, Godstone on 3 August last year.

He picked up his 31-year-old victim from Shoreditch in east London in the early hours of the morning and drove her to the dead end road where he stopped after pretending his vehicle had a problem.

The 39-year-old then forced himself on the victim and after assaulting her, dumped her at the roadside.

Paul Causer has been jailed for eleven years Credit: Surrey Police

Before the trial he admitted 3 counts of attempted theft after he tried to withdraw hundreds of pounds by using the victim’s bank card. He received an eight month sentence for the attempted thefts, which will run concurrently with the 11 years for the charge of rape.

The victim has warned others about staying safe on a night out following her ordeal."The past year has been a nightmare and I am now grateful it is all over but the message I would like to remind people is not to get into an unlicensed taxi.

"Despite being aware of the warnings, this was never something that I thought would happen to me. The horror of that night will affect me for the rest of my life.”

E-fit released of man accused of rape in Hove

Police have released this e-fit of a man suspected of rape in Hove Credit: Sussex Police

Sussex Police are hoping this e-fit of a man, suspected of a rape in Hove, will jog people's memories and help find him.

At around 10:30pm on Tuesday 29th April, the 51-year-old victim was walking home from a pub on Brunswick Street West when he met a man at the junction of Western Road and Lansdowne Street.

They got chatting and went back to the man's flat where he was raped.

Detective Sergeant Alex Evans said, "The victim was subject to an extremely nasty attack where a weapon was used. He is extremely distressed by what happened and he is being supported by specially trained officers."

Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101 quoting serial 1417 of 30/4.

Advertisement

Second arrest made in connection with Bagshot rape

Detectives investigating a reported rape in Bagshot on Friday have arrested a second male in connection with the incident.

A woman in her 40s told officers she was attacked at around 2.50pm after being approached as she walked along a footpath in the woods between the vicinity of Esher Road and the Pennyhill Park Hotel. A 16-year-old male has been arrested on suspicion of rape and is currently is custody.

As part of ongoing enquiries we have tonight made a second arrest in connection with this incident. However this remains a live investigation and I am still keen that any witnesses who were in the local area between 2pm and 4pm on Friday and saw anything suspicious come forward with any information.”

– Detective Chief Inspector Rachel Bacon

Man arrested over reported rape released without charge

A man arrested yesterday afternoon, in connection with a reported rape has been released with no further action.

The 19-year-old man has been eliminated from enquiries being carried out by detectives investigating the rape, which took place in Bagshot on Friday afternoon.

A woman in her 40s told officers she was attacked at around 2.50pm after being approached as she walked along a footpath in the woods between Esher Road and Pennyhill Park Hotel.

She was physically attacked by the offender who then carried out the serious sexual assault.

The attacker is described as a white man, aged between 16 and 19, approximately 5ft 5inches tall with short, light coloured hair. He was wearing tracksuit bottoms and a white T-shirt and had a bag over his shoulder.

The man who we arrested yesterday has been released and our enquiries continue to try and identify the person responsible. This was a brazen offence which took place in broad daylight and was a terrifying experience for the victim. I am appealing for anyone who was in the area on Friday afternoon between 2pm and 4pm and may have seen either a man matching the description or any suspicious activity to come forward. I would like to reassure the local community that we are doing everything we can to catch whoever was responsible for this crime."

– Detective Chief Inspector Rachel Bacon

Man arrested in connection with rape investigation

Detectives investigating a reported rape in Bagshot have arrested a man in connection with the incident. A woman in her 40s told officers she was attacked at around 2.50pm on Friday after being approached as she walked along a footpath in the woods between Esher Road and Pennyhill Park Hotel.

A 19-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of rape and is currently is custody. Detective Chief Inspector Rachel Bacon, said: "As part of ongoing enquiries we have this afternoon made an arrest in connection with this incident. However this remains a live investigation.

"I am still keen that any witnesses who were in the local area between 2pm and 4pm yesterday and saw anything suspicious come forward with any information.”

Woman raped in woods in Surrey

Detectives are appealing for the public's help after a woman has reported she was raped in a wooded area in Bagshot yesterday afternoon.

It happened at around 3pm when the victim, who is in her 40s, walked along a footpath in the woods between the vicinity of Esher Road and the Pennyhill Park Hotel.

She was physically attacked by the offender who then carried out the serious sexual assault. The victim screamed for help and the man fled the scene.

The attacker is described as a white man, aged between 16 and 19, approximately 5ft 5inches tall with short, light coloured hair. He was wearing tracksuit bottoms and a white T-shirt and had a bag over his shoulder.

This was a brazen offence which took place in broad daylight and was a terrifying experience for the victim. She has understandably been left extremely traumatised and is currently being supported by specialist officers. I would like to reassure the local community that we are doing everything we can to catch whoever was responsible for this crime. This type of incident is thankfully rare but will no doubt cause concern in the local community and we are working closely with residents through the local Safer Neighbourhood Team who will be providing reassurance patrols and visits in the area."

– Detective Chief Inspector Rachel Bacon

Advertisement

Investigations underway into rape in Brighton

Investigations are underway into the rape of a 51-year-old man in Brighton.

Police have released this e-fit of a man they'd like to speak to. The victim was walking home from a pub when he was assaulted - he was also attacked with a weapon.

Police want to speak to this man in connection with a rape in Brighton Credit: Sussex Police

Detective Sergeant Alex Evans said: "The victim was subject to an extremely nasty attack where a weapon was used. He is extremely distressed by what happened and he is being supported by specially trained officers.

"The suspect is described as white, about 50-years-old with dark hair. We are appealing to anyone who might recognise this man and have any details about what happened before they met. Did you see this man on Western Road or in the area?"

Man jailed for 20 years for rape

Stephen Edwards Credit: Sussex Police

Stephen Edwards was found guilty of raping 46 year-old Pauline Jenkins who was found dead at her home in Brighton in 2011. Edwards was given a 20 year sentence. He'll serve 13 years in jail and may serve the following seven years on licence.

Edwards denied raping Pauline Jenkins who was found dead at her home in Woodingdean on 7 February 2011. He was also found not guilty of raping a 51 year-old woman he had met in 2010 in Brighton.

In another trial at Lewes Crown Court in 2011, Edwards was found guilty of two counts of rape against a 46 year-old woman he knew in Brighton dating back between 1995 and 1996.

False rape claim lands woman 2 years in prison

A woman who falsely claimed she was raped in Brighton has been jailed for 2 years.

Sharlene James was found guilty of perverting the course of justice after sparking fear that a serial sex attacker was at large in the city.

Whilst at Lewes Crown Court yesterday, the jury heard how she claimed to have been pulled into the New Steine community gardens and raped by a man who tried to talk to her.

Detective Chief Inspector Carwyn Hughes said, "Police were already investigating a number of incidents in the Kemp Town area when this allegation was made.

"As in all cases, we took this very seriously and were quick to respond.

"On launching an extensive investigation we quickly concluded that this offence did not take place and aside from raising unnecessary anxiety and alarm, many hours were wasted that could have been put to better use investigating genuine reports of crime."

sharlene James, 26, has been sent to jail for 2 years for perverting the course of justice Credit: Sussex Police
Load more updates