Live updates

Petition launched to prevent closure of ice rink

More than 8,500 people have signed a petition to save an ice rink in the Isle of Wight ice rink - just hours after its operators announced it would close.

Planet Ice, who operate the arena in Ryde, revealed the rink would close next month because it hasn't made a profit in seven years and wasn't financially viable.

The venue is home to the popular Wightlink Raiders ice hockey team. Campaigners say hundreds of island children use the facilities each week.

The lease for the building is available to buy for just five pounds.

Supporters are trying to find a way of taking over the facility and funding the running costs.


Ryde Pier celebrates 200 year anniversary

Ryde Pier on the Isle of Wight in 1935 Credit: Topham/Topham Picturepoint/Press Association Image

The 200th anniversary of the opening of Britain's first seaside pier is being marked today.

Ryde Pier on the Isle of Wight opened on July 26 1814, and today still stands as a reminder of the feat of Victorian engineering.

It was the original seaside pier and paved the way for dozens of others up and down Britain, from Dunoon in Scotland to Falmouth in Cornwall.

Along with fish and chips and rock, piers became a staple of British seaside life and a magnet for holidaymakers before the boom in international travel.

Royal Thames Yacht Club races in 1935 with Ryde Pier in the foreground Credit: Topham/Topham Picturepoint/Press Association Image

"Mindless vandalism that could cost lives"

Video. "Mindless vandalism that could cost lives." That's the reaction to an incident which saw two inshore rescue lifeboats slashed and punctured at a seaside resort, used by thousands of holidaymakers.

It happened at Ryde, on the Isle of Wight, just days before the school holidays and at the peak of the summer season. All crew members and the back-up teams are volunteers, and raise their own funds.

July and August are the busiest months of the year for the rescue teams. Last year they saved nearly 100 people who got into difficulty in the water. And they are usually on call 365 days of the year, but not any more.

Dave Russell reports, and spoke to Adrian Farrell from Ryde Inshore Lifeboat.


Boy in hospital after coastguard rescue on the Isle of Wight

The eight-year-old boy was airlifted to hospital from Appley beach Credit: Bright Wight Images
Lifeboat crews rescued the youngster from the sea in Ryde Credit: Bright Wight Images

An eight year old boy was pulled into a lifeboat from the water at Appley beach in Ryde on the Isle of Wight yesterday. The Solent coastguard helicopter then airlifted the child to St Mary's Hospital in Newport.

Thousands of people were in the area at the time for Armed Forces Day. The boy was later transferred to Southampton Hospital where his condition was described as critical but stable.

Woman rescued from rising tide in the fog

A woman and her dog have been pulled from the water after becoming cut off by the rising tide in thick fog at Ryde, Isle of Wight.

Solent Coastguard took a 999 call just before 8am this morning from the woman's husband reporting that his wife was cut off, very distressed and on Appley Beach.

Solent Coastguard immediately telephoned the woman who was stuck in the water with her dog. The water was already up to her waist, and, due to thick fog, she was disoriented.

The Bembridge Coastguard Rescue Team, trained in water rescue, and two boats from Ryde Inshore Rescue were sent to the scene.

Due to the foggy conditions, it wasn’t clear exactly where the woman was. Rescuers had to shout to her to track her down, but she was eventually located. Both her and the dog were then recovered to the lifeboat before being passed into the care of paramedics.

This woman told us she often takes her dog for a walk on the beach in this area, but this morning she was not aware of the rising spring tide. Combined with the foggy conditions, she ended up getting stuck up to her waist in the water. This must have been a terrifying ordeal and we’re grateful that we managed to recover her in time. To avoid becoming stuck yourself, best to check the weather and tide times before you set out. Remember though, if you do get into difficulty, call 999 and ask for the Coastguard.”

– Karen Bosman, Watch Manager at Solent Coastguard

Ryde kitchen fire victim named

Police have named the man who died in a Kitchen fire in Ryde on the Isle of Wight as Justin Martin Bell.

The 82-year-old who was from St Thomas Street in Ryde was rescued from his home after a fire broke out at just before 6pm on Tuesday.

Mr Bell died at St Marys Hospital in Newport later that evening. Mr Bell's 81-year-old wife, Mary Bell was transported to hospital suffering with smoke inhalation along with a 22-year-old man and a 21-year-old woman, who had tried to help Mr Bell get out of the house.

A 26-year-old woman and a 54-year-old local woman, who had also tried to assist, were treated at the scene.

An inquest is due to be opened on 19 November 2013.

Police confirm death after fire

A man has died following a fire at a house in Ryde on the Isle of Wight. Emergency Services were called to an address in St Thomas Street, Ryde at 5.52pm on 12th November 2013.

An 82-year-old man was treated at the scene, but died in hospital later that evening. An 81-year-old woman as well as a 22-year-old man and a 21-year-old woman were also treated at St Marys Hospital for smoke inhalation and have since been released.

Hampshire Constabulary is working with Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service on an investigation at the scene of the fire.The death is not being treated as suspicious and a file is being prepared for the coroner. The dead man has not yet been named.

Load more updates