Victims of 'scam mail' are often the elderly or most vulnerable in our society - losing hundreds of pounds - even hundreds of thousands.
Trading Standards officers launched a 'day of action' to fight back against the swindlers. Andy Dickenson met one man who used his savings to 'try his luck' - and who says he can't believe he fell for the scam.
It seems like an innocent, helpful and convincing telephone call: "There is a problem with your computer but we can fix it for you. Just give us a few details."
For many the alarm bells start ringing immediately. But sadly others - less 'computer savvy' - are taken in by the scam and don't realise it until their bank accounts are being drained.
That's what happened to a woman from Lymington, in Hampshire - the victim of one of a growing number of computer frauds aimed at unsuspecting people. Richard Slee reports.
Thousands of people have now been targeted by the Peter Pan e-mail scam. We talked to a victim. We also talked to the Pavilion Theatre in Bournemouth.
Thousands of computers have been exposed to a virus after they received a scam email about booking tickets to see a pantomime in Bournemouth this Christmas.
The email, purportedly from BH Live Tickets, claims to have tickets for Peter Pan at the Bournemouth Pavilion Theatre attached.
But clicking on the attachment will instead download a zip file containing the virus.
BH Live Tickets said they had received "a high-volume of calls" since yesterday morning about the email and confirmed it had not originated from them.
More details shortly.
Two men have been found guilty in connection with a dating website scam.
A jury of nine women and three men took two days to find the men guilty of money laundering following a three week trial.
They are: Monty Emu, aged 28, of Frencham Road, Southsea and Adewunmi Nusi, aged 26, of Bomford Close, Hermitage, Berks.
On the first day of the trial, Emmanuel Oko, aged 29, of Waverley Grove, Southsea, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to defraud and money laundering; and Chukwuka Ugwu, aged 28, of Somers Road, Southsea, pleaded guilty to money laundering.
Another defendant, Brooke Boston, aged 28, of Chelsea Road, Southsea, was found not guilty of money laundering and conspiracy to defraud.
Last week, the trial judge ordered that a further defendant, Eberechi Ekpo, aged 26, of Adair Road, Southsea, be found not guilty of money laundering and fraud by false representation.
All four have been remanded in custody until sentencing, which will take place at Winchester Crown Court during the week commencing October 13, 2014.
Vulnerable and elderly people across the South are being conned out of thousands of pounds - because of scam mail.
It's estimated that they're are losing between eleven and fourteen billion pounds a year across the country. Hampshire County Council gets 65 calls for help every month from people who've been the victims of fraudsters. ITV Meridian spoke to Pauline McWilliams from Hampshire Trading Standards.
Dorset Police are reminding residents to remain vigilant as scam telephone calls continue across the county.
Telephone calls have been received from a person pretending to be a detective from the Metropolitan Police.
They then tell the caller that a person known to them is in custody, who has their bank details or has taken money from their accounts.
Luckily, recent victims of the calls have notified police but other people have been conned out of thousands of pounds.
Dorset Police are asking people to let them know if they do get any suspicious phone calls.
In every street in the South East someone could be being conned out of thousands of pounds - because of scam mail.
Sussex Police have become the first force in the country to try to find out exactly how bad the problem is.
They say elderly and vulnerable people are sometimes parting with their life savings to criminals sending them letters - posing as charities, competition organisers and suppliers. The cheques they send are funding criminal gangs abroad.
Andy Dickenson reports and speaks to victim's son Chris Becket, Insp Nick Bowman and PC Bernadette Lawrie from Sussex Police.
This story also features a police interview with the late Tom Beckett.
She parted with £175,000 pounds of life savings with the promise of a safe investment. But tonight a pensioner from Winchester says she's ashamed to show her face after becoming one of hundreds of victims of an international phone scam.
The con artists tricked people into buying £15 million worth of fake shares - providing themselves with a luxury lifestyle of fast cars, designer watches and multi-million pound properties.
More than 100 suspected fraudsters are now being held by police who believe at least 850 victims were targeted. But as Sarah Cooper reports, police think that's just the tip of the iceberg.
A Hampshire woman speaks out about losing a six figure sum in a fake share scam.Read the full story ›