Live updates

Not guilty - man who caused Gatwick security scare

It was a security scare that put Gatwick into 'lockdown' - and cost the airport £1.2m in lost business.

A Frenchman was seen dumping an air rifle in a bin in the departure hall - just hours after 130 people were killed in the Paris terror attacks.

But Jerome Chauris walked free from court, as a jury accepted his defence that his poor English meant he was confused by the signs at Gatwick.

Malcolm Shaw reports.

Man reaches Gatwick lounge without a ticket

A Turkish man sparked a security scare at Gatwick Airport today after passing through customs without a ticket.The man managed to reach the departure lounge at around 8.20am before he was stopped by staff.

Shocked passengers were said to have left the airport after hearing what had happened.

Earlier this morning a gentleman accompanying his family through the airport was incorrectly allowed access to the departure lounge without having a boarding pass. The incident is being investigated but all individuals correctly passed through the series of full security search and screen processes."

– Spokesman for Gatwick Airport


Men arrested after Gatwick alert

Two men who sparked a major alert at Gatwick Airport were arrested as they flew back into the airport yesterday.

The men had been identified by Sussex Police as departing on a flight to Majorca on Wednesday after leaving a van suspiciously in a North Terminal car park.

This sparked a major security alert and a controlled explosion was carried out on the vehicle

The men, both 33, one from Enfield, Middlesex, and the other who gave no address, were arrested on suspicion of theft, fraud by false representation, handling stolen goods, causing a public nuisance and money laundering. They were questioned and have been bailed until August 28.

Cunard forced to shut online booking after emails error

Southampton-based Cunard was forced to shut its online booking system after personal details of 1,200 passengers were emailed out to people who are registered with the company.

It is not known how many people were sent the information but it meant names, addresses and booking details were mailed out in error. The issue earlier has just been revealed. Cunard spokeswoman Jackie Chase confirmed the mishap.

Cunard can confirm that an e-mail was sent in error to some guests containing details relating to other guests' bookings. We took swift action to close down the check-in system, Voyage Personalizer, until we are able to re-issue new secure log-in details to all affected guests. We are very sorry if this error has caused our guests any concern and we would like to reassure them that the issue has been dealt with and we are in the process of contacting relevant guests with new, secure log-in."

– Jackie Chase, Cunard spokeswoman