An elderly couple who were found dead at an address in Shanklin on the Isle of Wight have been officially named by the police.
The bodies of 83-year-old Jean Irwin and 77-year-old John Irwin were found at an address on Albert Road, on Monday 20th June. Post mortem examination results revealed that Jean died from neck compression, her death is being treated as murder. Mr Irwin's died from ligature suspension, his death is not being treated as suspicious.
Investigations into the circumstances surrounding their deaths are continuing on behalf of the coroner. Hampshire Constabulary say they are not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident. Detectives say the Irwins' family members are being supported by specialist officers.
A post mortem examination is due to be held on the bodies of two pensioners found in a house on the Isle of Wight.
Police were called to Albert Road in Shanklin yesterday morning where they found a 77-year-old man and an 83-year-old woman. Detectives from Hampshire Police say they are not looking for anyone else in connection with their deaths.
The Shanklin Cliff Lift will remain closed for the foreseeable future due to safety concerns after the public footbridge structure was found to have significantly and unexpectedly deteriorated.
The normal pre-season inspection undertaken last week has revealed the condition of the supporting steelworks of the footbridge at the top of the lift have significantly worsened since the last inspection and the lift cannot be opened until remedial works are carried out.
The council is urgently investigating whether anything other than a full replacement of the bridge can be done to ensure the lift can be used for at least part of the summer season.
One of the challenges for the council is that the operating plant is nearing the end of its serviceable life so an investment into replacing the bridge without also committing to the replacement of the plant would not be the best use of the council's limited financial resources. The combined value of these works is estimated at nearly £750,000.
A bus service operates on Shanklin Esplanade every half an hour between 9.58am and 5.28pm during the day (apart from between 1pm and 2pm) between 20 June and 31 August which members of the public can use to travel into the town centre, the railway station or the bus station.
The foodbank on the Island is one of 300 appeals across the UK and is set to reach its target of raising £5,000. The Isle of Wight have seen an increase in the demand for food supplies as more families are struggling to make ends meet.
Local supermarkets also held charity collections to raise funds and food to help with the nationwide trolley relay by The Trussell Trust charity.
Hovertravel MD Neil Chapman gave the Trolley Push a fun send-off from Ryde Terminal with a fantastic performance by girl group Capo 4.
Isle of Wight Foodbank supporter Hannah King said "We are all making a difference to people who find themselves needing help and support. "
A teenager from the Isle of Wight has strange eating habits - she eats nothing but noodles.
Georgi Readman, 18, from Shanklin says she has had the addiction for the past 13 years.
She told the Sun newspaper she is frightened of fruit and veg has munched through 390 miles of the snack in her lifetime.
She first became hooked on the snack at the age of five when her older brother ate some ready noodles in front of her. For the full story click this link http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article4879775.ece
A man has been arrested during a police raid on the Isle of Wight.
Officers were called to an address on North Road in Shanklin last night. It was reported a man, who may have had a weapon, was making threats of violence.
David Ord from Hyde Road, Shanklin on the Isle of Wight was awoken at 5.50 am, when he heard a loud crash. He thought it was thunder - until he looked outside and saw a tree had fallen on his car.