Live updates

Shoreham Airshow boss 'unaware' of pilot's plan

Investigators assess the damage on the A27 Credit: ITV Meridian

Shoreham's flying display director was not aware of the sequence of manoeuvres that the Hawker Hunter pilot intended to perform, the AAIB found.

Without prior knowledge of the routine or the ground over which he would fly, it was not possible to identify specific hazards and which groups of people would be exposed to them, the report stated.

The FDD presented risk assessments to the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) to seek permission for two displays following the disaster that "were not materially different from that for Shoreham", according to the AAIB.

Investigators issued a safety recommendation calling for the CAA to "specify the safety management and other competencies" that flying show organisers must demonstrate.

Reaction to AAIB report on Shoreham Airshow tragedy

Advertisement

Lawyers representing Shoreham crash victims issue statement

“This special bulletin is an extremely important step forward in improving the safety of airshows across the UK. There are clear learning points from what happened at Shoreham which the CAA must take into account and implement into its policies and guidance asap.

“The key issues include the detail included in the risk assessments for Shoreham in relation to where potentially dangerous manoeuvres were taking place and how close the crowd would be standing. As we tragically saw in August last year, when something goes wrong with an aircraft near to a large group of spectators, there can be disastrous consequences

“Although we don’t want to dampen the enjoyment that many people derive from airshows, it’s quite clear that the regulations for organisers looking to put on a display have got to be improved to reduce the risk of similar issues in future.”

– Jim Morris, a former pilot and specialist aviation lawyer at Irwin Mitchell representing the victims of the Shoreham crash

"While the CAA's recommendations to improve safety at airshows are welcome, we and our clients are very disappointed that it has taken this disaster and this terrible loss of life to happen before these recommendations have been made.

"Most of the recommendations are common sense, and questions have to be asked whether more should have been done to improve safety standards prior to the tragic events that occurred in Shoreham.”

– Clive Garner, who leads the aviation team at Irwin Mitchell

£10,000 reward for information about Shoreham robbery

Credit: ITV news

A 10 thousand pound reward is being offered to catch two masked men who robbed a post office in West Sussex. The men, wearing balaclavas, threatened staff in Shoreham with a crowbar. They made off with £22,000 and 3000 Euros on January 22.

The national Post Office and Crimestoppers have teamed up to offer the reward for information which leads to a conviction.

Julia Hughes, regional manager for Crimestoppers in Sussex, said: "A substantial amount of money was taken during this incident and it is imperative that the culprits are caught. There are people out there who know who is responsible and I would urge you to do the right thing and contact us anonymously through our 0800 555 111 phone line or our anonymous online form at www.crimestoppers-uk.org.

One suspect is described as white, 5'8 with a slim build and stubble. He was wearing a balaclava, blue padded jacket and black tracksuit bottoms with pink underwear. The other was also wearing a balaclava and a dark jacket with grey sleeves. He was carrying a hi-vis satchel.

Advertisement

Woman injured in Shoreham by falling tree

A tree blown over during Storm Imogen Credit: David Illman

A woman has been injured by a falling tree in Shoreham.

The woman was unpacking her car in Connaught Avenue when the tree was blown over by the wind.

Paramedics attend the scene Credit: David Illman

Neighbour David Illman said the woman was taken to hospital suffering from a head wound.

The fallen tree damaged another neighbour's car.

Two men steal thousands from Sussex post office

Two men made off with thousands of pounds from a post office in Sussex this evening, police have told ITV News Meridian.

The men, in their 20s, threatened staff at the shop in Brunswick Road in Shoreham just before half past five.

They are then believed to have run away from the post office in the direction of the railway line.

There's currently a cordon in place while police and crime scene investigators gather evidence.

Load more updates