Live updates

Rescued teenager backs smoke alarm campaign

Lauren Woodward, 18, was rescued through a first floor window Credit: Hampshire Fire and Rescue

A student is backing Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service's campaign to encourage the use of smoke alarms after one helped save her life.

Lauren Woodward, from Holbury, says she "could have died" if she hadn't been alerted to a fire that had started in the kitchen of her first floor home, trapping her inside while she was in the living room.

The 18-year-old says when she heard the alarm, she rushed to investigate, spotting the fire and dialling 999. Firefighter arrived minutes later and used a ladder to rescue her through a window.

The fire had started on the hob of her Crawte Avenue home.

I had never really thought about smoke alarms up until now but if they had not been there I wouldn’t have realised there was a fire until I had smelt the smoke. I could have died.

What really worries me is that I had just got out of the bath and could have gone to sleep – that thought made me extremely relieved that we had working smoke alarms.

I would definitely urge everyone to make sure they have smoke alarms in their house.”

– Lauren Woodward
The teenager says she Credit: Hampshire Fire and Rescue

Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service is running its #chokedup campaign to highlight the use of smoke alarms throughout January. They advise householders to put a smoke detector in the hallway at least 30cm from a light fitting or wall.

Mother and toddler saved by their smoke alarm

A mother and toddler were saved from their home in Fareham this afternoon thanks to their smoke alarm.

Fareham crews were called to Hillson Drive in the Hill Park area at 1pm to a fire in a ground floor living room.

The mother and child were upstairs but managed to escape through the front door, thanks to the early detection of smoke from their alarm.

The blaze was under control within an hour but there was a considerable amount of damage to the living room and smoke damage to the rest of the house.

Crew Manager Mark Ryder said, "The mother heard the alarm activating downstairs and saw the living room on fire.

"Considering how quickly the fire developed, had she not had the warning from the smoke alarm she could have been trapped upstairs."

Advertisement