Live updates

Wiltshire soldier hailed 'bionic man' after amazing recovery

A soldier from Wiltshire has been hailed a bionic man after a remarkable return to fitness. Seven years ago, doctors told Jonathan Le Galloudec he'd never walk again after he was shot in Iraq.

Now, the forces charity Help for Heroes are hoping to use his example to get the government to fund similar carbon fibre splints.

Ex-soldier prepares for 100-mile ride to help veterans

An ex-soldier from Surrey is getting ready to undertake a 100-mile bike ride to help veterans with sight loss.

41-year-old Brett Parker, from Gloucestershire, will take part in the Prudential Ride London-Surrey in aid of Blind Veterans UK.

He served in the army for more than nine years and was inspired to support Blind Veterans UK after they helped one of his friends' dads - who was shot and blinded in both eyes in Kenya in 1953.

I have to say I am very nervous about taking part in RideLondon. Having said that, last year I completed a 55-mile Thames Bridges Ride on a borrowed mountain bike having done no training, which I'm hoping is an indication that I might be able to cope with RideLondon. Training is going okay, I'm just trying to build up my stamina, and fundraising is going very well - I'm always amazed by people's generosity. I'm not the best at asking for money but this was such a good cause that I felt it was worth the effort."

– Brett Parker

Advertisement

Soldier charged with assaulting teenager

A soldier has been charged with sexually assaulting a teenager near to a railway station. The 18-year-old woman was allegedly attacked in New Park Avenue, Bexhill, East Sussex, as she walked away from the town's railway station at about 3.40am on August 19, a Sussex Police spokesman said.

The spokesman said: "As a result of intensive police inquiries since Sunday, the arrest was made on Saturday August 25."

Trevor Anthony Clark, 20, a serving soldier stationed at Catterick Garrison, North Yorkshire, who has been staying in Buckhurst Road, Bexhill, has been charged with sexual assault and causing actual bodily harm. He will appear at Hastings Magistrates' Court tomorrow.

Reaction to soldier deaths

Two soldiers serving with the 1st Battalion Welsh Guards and one serving with the Royal Corps of Signals have been killed in an incident at a check point in Helmand Province, Afghanistan. On leaving the check point, they were engaged by small arms fire by a man wearing an Afghan Police uniform.

I was saddened to hear of this cowardly act by a man wearing an Afghan uniform, which has taken the lives of three brave British soldiers. All of our thoughts are with the families of these men who have died in such tragic circumstances. They gave their lives protecting Britain’s national security, helping to make sure that Afghanistan never again becomes a haven for international terrorism.

– Defence Secretary, Philip Hammond

I was in Afghanistan with British troops last week where these deaths will be felt keenly. At the same time, I know that the resolve of those on operations will be unshaken. Generally, there remains a high level of trust between the Afghan forces and their British counterparts with whom they work and live every day. Every time I visit Afghanistan and I am struck by the progress we are making alongside the Afghans in building a country increasingly able to stand on its own two feet. Attacks like this will not stop us from moving forward.”

– General Sir David Richards, Chief of the Defence Staff

Advertisement

MOD announces death of Dorset-based soldier

Two soldiers serving with the 1st Battalion Welsh Guards and one serving with the Royal Corps of Signals have been killed in an incident at a check point in Helmand Province, Afghanistan.

Their loss will be felt deeply across Task Force Helmand. However, this will be nothing compared to the grief experienced by the soldiers’ families. Our thoughts and prayers are with them at this extremely difficult time."

– Major Ian Lawrence

Airman killed in Afghanistan

Corporal Brent John McCarthy Credit: MOD

Corporal McCarthy was assigned to RAF Brize Norton in July 2009 where he volunteered to deploy with 174 Provost Company, 3rd Regiment Royal Military Police as part of the Theatre Provost Group.

During his pre-deployment training Corporal McCarthy showed an aptitude for mentoring and was a natural choice to embed with the Welsh Guards as part of the Police Mentoring Advisory Group.

Corporal McCarthy leaves behind his father John, mother Sarah, sister Jodie, his partner Sarah and his niece Miajay and nephew Kyron.

Family pay tribute to airman

Corporal McCarthy leaves behind his father John, mother Sarah, sister Jodie, his partner Sarah and his niece Miajay and nephew Kyron.

Brent was a loving sensitive young man. He excelled at sport and had the whole world in front of him. He loved his family dearly and will always be a hero to his niece Miajay. Brent will be sadly missed not only by us but also by his loving partner Sarah and her devoted family. Life will never be the same for any of us. We will love you always. God bless."

– Corporal McCarthy's family

RAF Brize Norton airman killed

Corporal Brent John McCarthy and Lance Corporal Lee Thomas Davies Credit: MOD

An airman based at RAF Brize Norton was one of two servicemen killed in Afghanistan. Corporal Brent John McCarthy and Lance Corporal Lee Thomas Davies, from the 1st Battalion Welsh Guards, were shot by someone dressed as a member of the Afghan Police Force in Helmand province on Saturday.

They were serving as part of an advisory team and were providing security for a meeting with local officials when the attack happened. Cpl McCarthy was assigned to RAF Brize Norton in July 2009, where he volunteered to deploy with 174 Provost Company, 3rd Regiment Royal Military Police.

Load more updates