Live updates

Body found trapped in rock groynes believed to be missing woman

A body found trapped in the rock groynes at Beach Green in Lancing is believed to be a missing pensioner from Sussex.

Although the body has not been formally identified, police believe it's missing Sompting woman Jill Barnes.

Jill was last seen at her home in Western Road on Monday night. An extensive search of the area was carried out by police, the police helicopter, coastguard, the fire brigade and search volunteers.

Due to the high tide and its position, emergency services were unable to remove Jill's body when it was found yesterday morning but they worked in difficult weather conditions at low tide to recover her.

Police are not treating her death as suspicious and the coroner's officer is dealing with it.

"Obviously this is not the outcome we were hoping for. We are supporting Jill's family at this difficult time and they have been asked they be left alone to grieve in peace."

– Inspector Roy Hodder

Police investigating murder of man in Sussex search area near his home

Police forensic teams on site Credit: Eddie Mitchell

Police have been combing an area at Sompting in Sussex in connection with the death of Mark Manning. About ten officers are searching an area around St Peters Place, off Western Road for clues to what has happened to him. Mr Manning, 54, a former military bomb disposal expert was last seen on April 19 last year and is presumed dead. Two men have been arrested in connection with his murder and released on bail while investigations continue.

Around 10 officers are on the scene Credit: Eddie Mitchell

Today’s search is the latest in a string of efforts by Sussex Police in recent months to trace Mr Manning. Anyone with information about his whereabouts should ring police on 101 or email quoting Operation Light or call the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.


Sompting couple defrauded of thousands

Police want to speak to this man in connection with a money scam Credit: Sussex Police

A couple from Sompting were defrauded out of several thousand pounds when they were the victims of an elaborate scam on Tuesday last week.

A man who claimed to be calling from the Metropolitan Police rang the couple's home phone number and said that there had been fraudulent transactions on their bank account.

He then asked if they would be prepared to assist with an undercover operation to expose forged bank notes being trafficked by dishonest back staff.

A bogus courier was sent to their house and the couple handed over the money. He is described as white, in his early 20s, 5' 6"-5' 7", of small build with a pale complexion, mid-brown wavy hair and having 'childlike' features. He was dressed rather scruffily in casual clothing that included a dark round-necked T-shirt and a knitted grey cardigan with a large collar. Police have issued an e-fit of the man.

"This was an elaborate and convoluted con trick that must have required at least three people to pull it off. As in previous attempts across the county, some of which have been successful, the trick has been to convince the victims that they were phoning the police or their bank. They do this be remaining on the phone after they have called the victim, who then thinks they are making a new call to the police or bank that is 'answered' either by the original caller or an accomplice. It is a mean crime, invariably targeted at more vulnerable and trusting members of the public. We would like to hear from anyone who may have been the target of a similar scam or indeed, has become a victim. Please call us on 101 quoting serial 1643 of 16/09."

– Detective Constable Paul Tonks

Police or bank staff will never ask you for PIN numbers or send a courier to your house to collect bank cards or cash. If you have any doubts about a caller who asks you to ring back, either use another phone to call or leave it for half-an-hour or so before doing so.

You'll find correct contact details for your bank on correspondence or statements and the police can always be called on 101, no matter where you are in the country.

If you think you are being targeted, use a different phone and dial 999 immediately.

Woman dies in hospital following attack

A 70-year-old woman, who was the victim of a serious assault in her home in Sompting on Thursday evening, has sadly died in hospital.

Sandra Boakes was taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton, with critical injuries after being attacked in her home in Grasmere Avenue, Sompting,

Sadly, Mrs Boakes succumbed to her injuries early on Saturday evening and passed away at the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton. Our thoughts are with her family and friends at this dreadfully tragic time. A post mortem will be held early next week to establish the cause of her death.

– Detective Inspector Gordon Denslow

Dudley Boakes, 79, retired, of Grasmere Avenue, Sompting, Lancing, appeared at Brighton Magistrates' Court yesterday morning, charged with the attempted murder of Sandra Boakes in Sompting on Thursday evening.

He was remanded to appear at Lewes Crown Court on April 25th.

Sompting man remanded in custody

Dudley Boakes, 79, retired, of Grasmere Avenue, Sompting, Lancing, appeared at Brighton Magistrates' Court this morning, charged with the attempted murder of a 70-year-old woman in Sompting on Thursday evening.

He was remanded to appear at Lewes Crown Court on April 25.

The injured woman remains in a critical condition in the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton.


New picture released of Sussex house explosion

This picture was taken a short time after an explosion in Sompting in West Sussex Credit: Ben Hornbuckle

The aftermath of an explosion which destroyed a property is Sussex has been caught on camera.

Resident Ben Hornbuckle took this picture of the property in Hillrise Avenue, Sompting.

A 54-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of arson after with intent to endanger life after the explosion yesterday afternoon.

Load more updates