Guards at South Western Railway will walk out on strike again at midnight. Hundreds of trains will be cancelled.Read the full story ›
Around 650,000 passengers are facing disruption on South Western Railway as the first of eight strikes by the RMT union begins.Read the full story ›
Delays and cancellations at South Western Railway are “not good enough”, according to the Government who have ordered an independent review.Read the full story ›
The work will take place in Eastleigh creating around 200 jobs. It's a major boost to the towns railway works which once employed thousands.Read the full story ›
South Western Railway says it plans to run three quarters of services during a one day strike by guards on New Years Eve - using managers.Read the full story ›
Next week's two day strike by guards at South Western Railway will go ahead after peace talks failed to resolve the dispute.
The RMT union is taking action because the company will not guarantee the future safety role of guards on trains.
The action will mean 700 trains will be cancelled on the busiest commuter network in Europe next Wednesday and Thursday. Buses will replace trains on some routes. All stations will see fewer trains.
The company hope to run around sixty per cent of services using managers working as guards. 650,000 passengers face disruption.
The RMT say SWR is refusing to guarantee safety critical guards will be kept on every train and will be safety trained.
We are disappointed that despite re-stating all our previous commitments that we will have more jobs not less, that we plan to retain a second person on every train, and guaranteeing salaries and terms and conditions, the union executive is going ahead with this unnecessary strike which will damage both our passengers and staff."
- For further details click here
Tens of thousands of rail passengers across the Thames Valley are facing a weekend of chaos.
Engineering work means many services through Reading will be cancelled.
It's to allow further testing of overhead wires ahead of an extension to commuter services next year.
Limited replacement buses will run, but will be very busy.
Tickets bought for Saturday or Sunday will be accepted all day today and Monday
Passengers are advised not to travel unless they have to.
- Click here for the latest updates from National Rail
There is major disruption on railway services between Reading and Waterloo and Windsor and Waterloo this morning due to a signalling problem between Putney and Barnes.
Disruption is expected to continue until approximately 11am.
The following services were cancelled earlier this morning:
- London Waterloo to London Waterloo via Twickenham and Brentford
- London Waterloo to London Waterloo via Brentford and Twickenham
- London Waterloo to London Waterloo via Kingston and Twickenham
- London Waterloo to London Waterloo via Twickenham and Kingston
- Between London Waterloo and Weybridge
- Between London Waterloo and Windsor and Eton Riverside
- Between London Waterloo and Reading
Lines have now reopened. Trains may still be cancelled, delayed or revised. Major disruption is expected until 11:00. #Barnes
Lines have now reopened, but trains may still be cancelled, delayed or revised.
South Western Railway advise passengers not to travel between Reading and London Waterloo and Windsor and London Waterloo.
Passengers are able to use their ticket on the following routes:
- London Underground via any reasonable route
- Great Western Railway services between Reading and London Paddington
- TFL buses via any reasonable route
- Southern services between Clapham Junction and London Victoria
Hundreds of guards at South Western Railway have begun voting in a strike ballot in protest at driver only operation.
The RMT says the new company has plans to change the role of its members.
The union say safety will be at risk.
SWR says it has no plans to cut staff but hasn't ruled out changes to working practices.
The ballot result is due later this month.
They're being described as "the ultimate weapon" to cut overcrowding on the busiest rail routes in the country. With space for almost 1,100 people to stand and more than 550 to sit the first of a new generation of 150 congestion busting train carriages went into service on the Windsor to Waterloo line today. The carriages are designed for short distance routes and will allow others they replace to transfer to longer distance routes to increase badly needed capacity. Our Transport Correspondent Mike Pearse reports.