Live updates

Air ambulance lands for thousandth time at Southampton General

Today the 1000th flight of the air ambulance landed at Southampton General Hospital.

It took place during a hospital open day where people were given a behind the scenes look at the workings of a major trauma centre.

The event, which is now in its sixth year, will see more than 100 events, activities and information stands.

People will be able to walk through a pair of giant inflatable lungs, watch a virtual autopsy and tour the operating theatres, as well as meet leading Cancer Research UK (CRUK) scientists, try on a pair of simulation specs to understand different eye conditions and meet the Pets as Therapy (PAT) dogs.

Hospital: 'Our priority has always been Ashya's welfare and we are delighted that he has been found'

The NHS trust in charge of the Southampton hospital where 5-year-old Ashya King was a patient, have released a statement after the boy was found with his family in Spain.

"Our priority has always been Ashya's welfare and we are delighted that he has been found. We are now working closely with colleagues in Malaga to ensure he receives the essential medical support he needs.

"We are aware of the comments made online by his father. Throughout Ashya's admission we have had conversations about the treatment options available to him and we had offered the family access to a second opinion, as well as assistance with organising treatment abroad.

"We understand how distressing this situation is for everyone involved, particularly Ashya's family. We will continue to do what we can to support them and assist the police in providing any information they require."

– Spokesperson, University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust

Advertisement

  1. West Country (E)

Three year old who died after being found in a swimming pool has been named

A three-year-old boy who died on his birthday after being found unconscious in a swimming pool in Upavon has been named as Jack Rowe. His parents launched a massive search after he was believed to have wandered off towards a nearby river.

Police and villagers joined in the hunt but, just 20 minutes later, little Jack was found floating in the water of the pool in the garden of a family home. He was unresponsive and given medical treatment at the scene before being flown to Southampton General Hospital by air ambulance.

He passed away just hours later from his injuries.

"We were sitting outside when a young lady came to the fence asking us to keep a look out for Jack as he had been missing for about half an hour.

"With the river being down there (next to the house), we ran down. After that we went around the house, looking through the fields.

"We were all looking when the police came at about 7.20pm. Then we heard a scream and he had been found in the pool.

"How long he had been in there for I don't know. It was unbelievable.

The air ambulance landed in the field opposite their house. The police had been trying to revive him for about half an hour."

– Jack and Maggie Leach, Neighbours

Boy who died after being found unconscious in swimming pool had been celebrating 3rd birthday

A boy who died after being found unconscious in a swimming pool had been celebrating his 3rd birthday.

The boy was reported missing yesterday evening after celebrations for his 3rd birthday in Upavon in Wiltshire.

He was found shortly afterwards in a nearby swimming pool and airlifted to hospital. Police are yet to formally identify the boy.

Three-year-old boy dies after found in pool

A 3-year-old boy who was airlifted to hospital after being found in a swimming pool has died.

But sadly, the child was found shortly after 7.20pm in a nearby swimming pool. He received emergency medical treatment at the scene but was unresponsive.

He was airlifted to Southampton General Hospital where he tragically passed away in the early hours of this morning.The young boy has not yet been formally identified.

Boy, 3, dies after being found in swimming pool

A three year old boy who was found unconscious in a swimming pool in Wiltshire has died.

Wiltshire Police were called to Upavon shortly after 7pm yesterday to reports of a missing child.

Sadly, the child was found shortly after 7.20pm in a nearby swimming pool.

He received emergency medical treatment at the scene but was unresponsive.

He was airlifted to Southampton General Hospital - but they were unable to resuscitate him.

Advertisement

Three year old boy from Wiltshire airlifted to hospital with life threatening injuries

Three year old airlifted to Southampton General Credit: itv news

A three year old boy has been airlifted to hospital with life threatening injuries following an incident in Upavon. Wiltshire Police were called shortly after 7pm this evening to reports of a missing child. Sadly, the child was found shortly after 7.20pm in a nearby swimming pool.

He received emergency medical treatment at the scene but was unresponsive. He has been airlifted to Southampton General Hospital where he remains in a life threatening condition

Hospital 'sorry' after parents are unhappy with sons care

A spokesperson from the University Hospital Southampton gave this statement regarding the 'absolutely appalling" care a couple's two-year-old son received after waiting six hours for a hospital bed.

While we are sorry to hear Mr and Mrs Giles are unhappy with the care their son received, these issues had not previously been raised with us and we are not familiar with the accounts presented through the media.

However, we would be happy to discuss any aspect of Callum's treatment with his parents directly and investigate any remaining concerns they have to ensure we offer them complete reassurance about our processes and procedures."

– University Hospital Southampton

Busy hospital ward leaves boy waiting six hours for bed

The parents of a two-year-old boy who had to wait six hours because doctors couldn't find him a hospital bed are demanding an apology.

Callum Giles became sick last week and when his condition worsened, his parents John and Marie rushed him to Southampton General Hospital.

Despite battling a blood infection, being hooked up to a drip and lying across two chairs pushed together, his parents were told by medical staff that he would have to wait because there was no room.

John and Marie say they are 'absolutely appalled' at the care Callum was given.

Load more updates