Live updates

Island body parts arrested man is bailed

Angela Millington Credit: Essex Police

A man arrested over the murder of a woman whose body parts were found washed up on an island has been released on bail.

The 51-year-old from Westcliff-on-Sea was held by Essex Police on Friday over the killing of Angela Millington, 33, from Southend.

The remains of Ms Millington, who had no fixed address and was known to mix with street drinkers and homeless people, were discovered by ramblers on Foulness Island, Essex, on June 21.

It is not known how long her remains had been on the marshy island. She was identified by DNA and detectives believe the remains had been carried to the island by the tide.

Angela Millington's remains were found on Foulness Island Credit: Essex Police

Police said the arrested man had been released until November 17 pending further inquiries.

Officers working on the investigation also said they have received reports of possible sightings of the victim in Southend in January and mid-February this year.

Detective Chief Inspector Simon Werrett, of the Kent and Essex serious crime directorate, said: 'We continue to receive valuable information from the public and we are currently looking into the possibility of her living or associating with someone in February this year. We are keen to trace this person so urge them to get in touch.'

Tenth man arrested after fatal street stabbing

A tenth male has been arrested over the murder of a man who died in a street stabbing. Hassan Mohammed, 24, from Camberwell, south east London, was found dead in York Road, Southend, Essex, at about 7pm on Monday. He had suffered two stab wounds.

A 17-year-old from Southend was arrested by officers last night at an address in Burdett Avenue, Westcliff. He is being questioned at Southend police station. Three other males, one aged 17 and two aged 18, and from north London, who were arrested on Wednesday remain in custody.

Six males aged between 17 and 19 who were arrested on Monday have now been released with no further action in relation to the murder, police added. Witnesses should contact detectives at Southend on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Advertisement

Businesses urged to register for investment

Businesses in Southend are being urged to sign up to get support from a 6-million pound investment pot. It's part of the Southend City Deal signed last week with the Government. It aims to create news jobs, provide business space and help local companies grow.

The signing of the City Deal was the culmination of a lot of hard work and means that exciting times lie ahead for the council, the local enterprise partnership and also local businesses. Funding will be used to provide business support and advice, specialist innovation support and grant advice. We will also be taking forward the exciting redevelopment of the former Central Library and have committed to purchasing empty sites to regenerate the area."

– Cllr John Lamb, Executive Councillor for Regeneration and Enterprise

Southend MOD site in blast scare

According to Essex Fire Service, around 22lb (10kg) of explosives were involved in the blast, which occurred at a weapons testing centre at MoD Shoeburyness, near Southend.

The weapons testers were freed by MoD officers in an armoured personnel carrier, but there were no injuries.

Five fire crews attended the incident, which happened at around 11am today.

A spokesman for QinetiQ, the private defence contractor that runs the Blackgate Road munitions centre, said:

"No-one was hurt in the incident at our environmental test centre and we are conducting a full investigation into what happened as is part of our standard safety procedures."

Taxi! London to Southend please

Now, a sight you don't usually see on the roads - a fleet of one London taxi cabs in convoy. But it was all for a very special reason. They were taking three hundred deserving children for a very special day out in Southend. Click here to see the report from Jenny Line.

Included in the report are interviews from taxi driver Levy Raymond, teacher Andrew Rigby, Event Organiser Susan Angel and Andrew Renton, the Grandson of the event's founder.

Advertisement

Robber flees as judge is about to jail him

Police have launched a manhunt after a 19-year-old fled a court dock as a judge was about to send him to jail. Unemployed Ricky Kerry ran from the dock at Southend Crown Court after being sentenced to 28 months in prison for robbery.

Essex Police say he made off on foot at just after 12.45pm in the direction of Baxter Avenue. It is understood that Kerry, of Jones Close, Southend, escaped through heavy double doors at the entrance to the court and down two flights of stairs.

The force said Kerry was being sentenced for a robbery in Sutton Road, Southend, in April in which he punched a man and took his mobile phone. Anyone with information should contact Essex Police on 101

  1. Anglia

A Crinkley Bottom for honeymoon couple

This is the sight that greeted a honeymoon couple when they got back to their home in Southend.

The "Mr Blobby" house in Southend Credit: ITV News Anglia

Steve and Hayley O'Rouke's terrace house was given an unexpected Mr Blobby style makeover.

Mr O'Rourke's brother Russell got to work Crinkley Bottom-style in a revenge prank after he'd returned from his own honeymoon to find a brick wall built across his drive.

Prank sees house painted like Mr Blobby

A newly-wed couple returned from honeymoon to find that their home had been painted bright Pink in the style of Mr Blobby.

The Daily Mirror reports how Steve and Hayley O’Rourke, 32 and 31, from Southend discovered the prank after their two week honeymoon

The groom’s brother Russell, 35, planned the Mr Blobby-style paint job in revenge for a similar joke six years ago.

See full story here http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mr-blobby-home-prank-honeymoon-1903094

Load more updates