Transport union leader Mick Cash has been barred from taking part in peace talks on the Southern Railway dispute at Acas.
The Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union leader had been due to join talks with officials from Southern to seek a resolution in a bitter dispute over driver-only trains.
Mr Cash said that the company had "refused" him access to the talks, which also involved the Aslef union. He branded their behaviour as "absolutely disgraceful" and "counter-productive" today.
RMT is furious at the complete contempt that has been shown to us by Southern Rail this morning...Our members were expecting discussions to take place today and instead we have had the door slammed in our faces.
Southern's parent company earlier today said that they had offered to meet Mr Cash "later today" over the dispute.
A planned strike went ahead despite the talks, with another 24-hour stoppage planned on Friday, and a week-long walkout planned in the new year.
Transport Secretary Chris Grayling has refused to rule out taking action to prevent future stoppages like the one which brought all Southern Railway services to a halt.
All lines run by Southern's parent company, Govia Thameslink Railway, were bottom of the list for the same period (Southern Metro, Great Northern, Gatwick Express, Southern Mainline and Coast and Thameslink), with between 23.1% and 36.7% of trains arriving late at their destinations. Source: Network Rail, Office of Road and Rail.
Southern Rail passengers are set to endure a second day of major disruption as a drivers' strike enters its second day.
No Southern trains will be running, causing other services to be over-crowded and heavier than normal traffic on the roads.
However, the owners of the train company and the ASLEF union representing the drivers have agreed to meet at the conciliation service ACAS later this morning.
The industrial action centres around a row over the role of guards.
Talks aimed at resolving the Southern Railway drivers' dispute are being held at the conciliation service Acas.Read the full story ›
Talks aimed at resolving the Southern Railway drivers' dispute will be held at the conciliation service Acas tomorrow, Aslef said.
Frustrated passengers share their stories as the worst train strike for 20 years hits home.Read the full story ›
The true horror of trying to travel by rail in Sussex, has been captured on video.
This footage was taken during the rush-hour this morning.
Many passengers were forced to stand, cramped into carriages, as many trains were cancelled due to strike action by ASLEF drivers.
Angie Doll, Passenger Service Manager for Southern, has told ITV News that striking is not the solution to the train dispute, as thousands of passengers suffered a day of misery on routes across the region.
ASLEF train drivers are supporting their RMT colleagues in a dispute over the role of guards.
Commuters who use Southern Rail will be petitioning the Transport Secretary, Chris Grayling to demand his intervention to bring the strike to an end.
The Association of British Commuters is also asking for a fully independent public inquiry into the 'collapse of Southern Rail'.
The group said it will march to the Department of Transport on Thursday with an open letter to Mr Grayling.
Train drivers are out on strike over the role of guards - with a bitter war of words being waged between both sides.Read the full story ›