Live updates

Advertisement

Camber Sands deaths "an incredibly tragic situation"

"This has been an incredibly tragic situation. At this stage we are doing all we can to establish who the men are and to identify next of kin.

"We are continuing to work with the Maritime and Coastguard Agency, Royal National Lifeboat Institute, South East Coast Ambulance and Rother District Council to establish what has happened."

Share

– Chief Superintendent Di Roskilly, Sussex Police

Search continues for 6th swimmer at Camber Sands

Emergency services are still at Camber Sands searched for swimmer feared to be missing

Advertisement

Deaths at Camber Sands beach in Sussex

A helicopter arriving at Camber Sands beach in Sussex Credit: PA

Emergency crews who revealed that the bodies of three men had been pulled from the sea off Camber Sands this afternoon, have confirmed tonight that two more bodies have been found, and that they are searching for a sixth swimmer.

The beach had been packed with holiday makers on one of the hottest days of the year. Our correspondent Derek Johnson sent this report of the day's events from the scene.

The interviewees are eyewitnesses including Charlotte Frederic, and Tara Lopez who also provided some of the video footage.

Two men jailed for rape of 'vulnerable woman'

Two men jailed for 22 years for rape of vulnerable woman Credit: Sussex Police

Two men who raped a vulnerable woman at a hotel in Brighton have been jailed for a total of 22 years.

Titus Gulu and Abdulla Rashid were sentenced to 10 and 12 years' imprisonment respectively, after being found guilty of the offence.

The pair had been drinking in Brighton in the early hours of 28 February 2014 when they invited a group of friends – previously unknown to them – back to their room at the Royal Albion Hotel in Old Steine.

This included the victim, whose friends left a short while later, leaving her alone with the two men.

Due to her intoxicated state, the 21-year-old, from Worthing, went to sleep on the bed, before she was raped by the pair.

Police became aware of the incident after she was encouraged to report it several days later.

The suspects were identified by officers who traced their details back to the booking for the room.

Gulu, 25, unemployed, of The Lawns, Lancing, and Rashid, 24, a student, of Barking in Essex, were subsequently charged with rape, which they both denied.

They were sentenced following a trial which concluded at Hove Crown Court on Friday 10 June.

Detective Constable Tom Duffy said:

"This was a particularly nasty case in which Gulu and Rashid befriended a vulnerable young woman on a night out in Brighton and took advantage of her in her drunken state.

Their sentences serve as a reminder that we fully investigate all reports of sexual offences, and those caught and convicted will be dealt with robustly.

I would also like to encourage anyone who feels they may have been the victim of a sexual offence to come forward. We are there to help and to bring criminals like these to justice.”

– DC Tom Duffy, Sussex Police

Another man arrested as part of police crackdown on drink and drug-drivers

Police arrest another man as part of Operation Dragonfly Credit: Sussex Police

An electrician who crashed into a parked vehicle is among the latest motorists to be disqualified as part of Operation Dragonfly, Surrey and Sussex Police's summer crackdown on drink and drug-drivers.

At about 11.50pm on Tuesday 7 June, police were called by a member of public to a collision in Victoria Road, Hastings.

On arrival, officers discovered a man in the driver's seat of a silver BMW 318 which had collided with a stationary taxi – a silver Ford Transit. Arresting officer PC Matt Elms said:

"We approached the BMW and spotted a man sitting in the driver's seat. His eyes were closed and his head was slumped forward. I knocked on the window and roused the man, who then opened his door.

As the door opened there was a clear smell of alcohol and the man was arrested on suspicion of drink-driving.”

– PC Matt Elms, Sussex Police

Robert Spillane, 37, of Montgomery Road, Hastings, was subsequently charged with driving with 97mg of alcohol per 100ml of breath in his system.

He pleaded guilty at Hastings Magistrates' Court on Wednesday and was disqualified from driving for two years. He was also ordered to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work within the next 12 months and pay £85 costs.

Three more motorists have also been sentenced in court this week, having been arrested as part of the operation which started on 6 June.

Load more updates