Live updates

Marching united against terror

In a united front against terrorism people of all faiths were brought together in Berkshire today in light of the recent events in Paris.

One hundred and twenty nine people were killed when gunmen opened fire and set off bombs across the city last Friday.

The message as they marched silently through Newbury, that hatred will not divide. Mel Bloor reports.

Archbishop of Canterbury speaks of Paris terror attacks

Justin Welby admitted the terror attacks made him doubt the presence of God Credit: ITV Meridian

The Archbishop of Canterbury has admitted the terror attacks in Paris made him "doubt" the presence of God.

Justin Welby said he was left asking why the attacks happened, and where God was in the French victims' time of need. He said he reacted with "profound sadness" at the events, particularly because he and his wife had lived in Paris.

Asked if these attacks had caused him to doubt where God is, he said: "Oh gosh, yes," and admitted it put a "chink in his armour."

A bombing campaign against Islamic State was launched after the events, but the Archbishop warned against a potentially damaging instant reaction.

"Two injustices do not make justice. If we start randomly killing those who have not done wrong, that is not going to provide solutions. So governments have to be the means of justice.

"The Bible tells us that they are put there by God with the sword for justice, but they also have to lead us into a place where peace can be established. Religion is so powerful in the way humans behave that it has always been a tool used by the wicked to twist people into doing what they want them to do.

"But just because someone believes something deeply wrong does not mean that they are right in some way because they put God in it. The perversion of faith is one of the most desperate aspects of our world today."


Solidarity march to be held in Berkshire in wake of Paris terror attacks

A silent peace march will be held in Newbury today to show solidarity in the wake of the terror attacks in Paris.

Organised by community organisation All2gether, the march will take place this morning at the Clock Tower in Northbrook Street in the town centre.

The group have described it like 'a one minute silence that will last much longer.'

It comes just over a week since IS launched co-ordinated gun and bomb attacks in Paris, killing 130 people.

A solidarity march will take place through Newbury this morning Credit: All2gether

“A platform that brings all faiths and no faiths together, where communities collectively stand shoulder to shoulder condemning all terror where innocent victims pay the price. What happened in Paris is deplorable, and at this time we should also reflect on the millions of lives affected in political and economic wars in recent years. You are welcome to join us in this peaceful march sharing the belief that hatred will not divide us".

– Spokesperson for All2gether

The walk will finish in Council Chambers on Market Street, where people can share thoughts in a comments book.

  1. Phil Hornby

The Last Word, November 2015

The world seems a more dangerous place after the events in Paris last weekend. How safe are we in the south and south east? What more should we do? Debating Syria, the terrorist threat, and spending on policing :- John Howell MP, Henley (Con); Naushabah Khan, Medway (Lab); Tim Aker MEP, Thurrock (UKIP).

And it's twenty-five years since the Oxfordshire MP, Michael Heseltine challenged Mrs Thatcher for the leadership. He told us about his memories of those days - and we asked him what does he think of when he lies awake at night?


DIY message, condemning terrorism, has 2.5m views

On the day the Foreign Office is advising tourists to leave Tunisia immediately, an Oxfordshire man has spoken out for British Muslims, who he says need to be seen to condemn terrorism. Haseeb Ahmed from Banbury posted his video message on Facebook. Since then it's been viewed two and a half million times. He has been praised for his bravery and says he's been overwhelmed by the response. Rob Murphy reports.

More time for police to quiz pair about 'terror offences'

West Midlands Police will continue to question two people about terror offences

Magistrates have granted West Midlands Police more time to question a man and a woman from Berkshire arrested on suspicion of preparing for acts of terrorism in the UK.

Detectives from the West Midlands Counter terrorism Unit appeared before Westminster Magistrates Court in London via video link earlier today to submit their warrant for further detention of the man and woman. The 24-year-old man from Reading and 23-year-old woman from Wokingham were arrested on Thursday 28th May.

Two arrested on terrorism offences remain in custody

Two people from Berkshire remain in the custody of West Midlands Police

A man and a woman from Berkshire arrested by West Midlands Police on suspicion of preparing for acts of terrorism in the United Kingdom, remain in police custody.

The 24-year-old man from Reading and 23-year-old woman from Wokingham were detained at around 7.30pm on Thursday 28th May. It is believed that the pair are friends. They were arrested in an operation by the West Midlands Counter Terrorism Unit assisted by officers from the South East Counter Terrorism Unit.

In a statement released today the West Midlands police force said that the pair will remain in custody while inquiries continue. Police emphasized that the man and woman posed no imminent threat.

Four held by terror police at Gatwick

Counter-terrorism police have arrested four British men at Gatwick Airport.

Officers detained the men, in their 30s, after they were refused entry to Turkey last week, Scotland Yard said. They were arrested under the Civil Aviation Act 1982 after being flown back to the UK on Saturday, a Metropolitan Police spokesman said.

He said: "On Saturday May 2, officers from the Met's counter-terrorism command arrested four men aged 36, 38, 37 and 32. They were arrested for an offence under the Civil Aviation Act 1982. The men were taken to south London police stations and bailed to return to a date in mid-June."

The men were stopped at Antalya airport in Turkey on April 29, police said. It is not known why the Turkish authorities refused them entry.

Load more updates