A murder investigation is underway after the death of a two-year-old boy in Dorset.
Police were called to an address in Broadmayne last Thursday morning. A child was taken to Dorset County Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
A man and a woman, both aged 21 and from the Dorchester area, have been arrested on suspicion of murder and are currently assisting police with their enquiries. They were both known to the child.
Det Sgt Darren Cartwright said: “This was obviously a frightening experience for the boy’s parents, but fortunately he doesn’t seem to have been seriously harmed. It seems he had picked up a discarded paper wrap believed to have contained an illegal drug.
“There is potential for further for forensic investigation into the incident , and we would like to make parent’s, guardians, and caregivers aware of it, especially in light of the continuing hot weather which families are taking advantage of by visiting our parks and public areas."
A toddler has been hospitalised after he chewed on a discarded drugs wrap at a recreation ground.
The incident happened yesterday at the Southern Road recreation ground in Thame when a 14-month old boy picked up what is believed to be a discarded drugs wrap and chewing it
Police were called at 5.15pm by the ambulance service, who took the boy to Stoke Mandeville Hospital.
His condition is not thought to be serious and he is being kept in overnight for observation.
A crew from Kent Fire & Rescue Service were called to a house in Ashford after a toddler started a fire by accident. It happened just after two o'clock this afternoon.
The homeowner smelled smoke, and managed to get herself and her children out of the house and phoned 999.
The two and a half year old girl who was believed to have started the blaze while 'playing house' in the kitchen was given oxygen by firefighters as a precautionary measure, before being checked over by ambulance crews.
Ashford Watch Manager Jim Smart said: "It appears, the child was playing at being mum and put a cardboard lid from a game into the oven and turned it on. Children of this age are unaware of the potential dangers of fire and should never be left alone in a room where there is a fire risk.
"Just three breaths of fire smoke can be fatal but babies, children and older people are most at risk if a fire breaks out in their home, as their bodies are less able to cope.
"Luckily this was a fairly minor incident and the fire was detected quickly. However, the outcome could have been very different if the fire had continued undetected."