The train drivers' union ASLEF has tonight rejected a deal aimed at resolving the long-running dispute over driver-only trains on Southern Rail.
It was thought that the majority of members would agree to the deal - but in a shock move - drivers decided by 54 to 46% NOT to accept the recommendation.
It's only the second time in ASLEF's history that drivers have gone against their union's recommendation. Our Transport Correspondent Mike Pearse sends this from East Grinstead station....
The head of Govia Thameslink Railway - Southern's parent company, has given his reaction to the decision of ASLEF union members to reject a deal in the ongoing dispute about driver-only trains.
“Naturally we’re saddened and hugely disappointed, as will be our passengers, with today’s decision by drivers, particularly as the agreement carried the full support and recommendation of the ASLEF leadership. We now need to understand the issues which led to this outcome and we’ll be seeking to meet with the union as soon as possible to see how we can agree a way forward.”
Train drivers have rejected a deal thrashed out between union bosses and Southern Railway - sparking fears of further strikes.Read the full story ›
The members of the train drivers' union ASLEF have rejected a deal aimed at resolving the long-running dispute over the introduction of driver-only trains on Southern.
Union members were recommended to approve the deal - but decided by 54% to 46% NOT to accept the recommendation
Isle of Wight Council has launched an initiative to support jobseekers travelling to interviews and jobs.
The sustainable travel support scheme will provide travel advice and training for active jobseekers on the Island, and offer support with the cost.
It will play a huge role in boosting economic growth by helping people to access employment and training opportunities that they would have previously avoided due to the costs involved with travelling.
Talks are taking place to prevent a 24 hour strike by London Underground workers.
Members of the Transport Salaried Staffs Association and the Rail, Maritime and Transport union are due to walk out for 24 hours from 6pm on Sunday in a long-running dispute over job losses and ticket office closures.
A few RMT union members were gathered at Brighton railway station on the picket line to mark the start of their three day strike over proposed changes to the role of guards on Southern trains.
Garry Hassell, from the RMT, said he knew the disruption was difficult for commuters, but the strikers were hoping to achieve a long term goal..
Southern Rail passengers have been warned to expect "severe and significant" disruption on the train network ahead of a three-day strike by conductors in an ongoing row over changes to their role.
The three-day walkout by members of the National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers (RMT) will disrupt transport services on Tuesday 6th, Wednesday 7th and Thursday 8th December 2016.
The Railways Minister, Paul Maynard, was in Sevenoaks in Kent today to launch a new smart card which marks the rail operator Southeastern's first move towards "ticketless commuting", similar to the Oyster card system in the capital. Our Political Correspondent Phil Hornby took the opportunity to also ask him what he was doing to put a stop to the industrial disputes which have been causing misery for the region's commuters.
Advice from Southern Rail on travelling around the network during the RMT union strike between Tuesday 6th December and Thursday 8th December 2016.
The RMT union has suspended a 24-hour strike which was due to take place on the London underground tomorrow - Tuesday 6th December 2016.
The industrial action on the Piccadilly, and Hammersmith & City lines concerned separate disputes which the union says have been the subject of successful talks with London Underground at the conciliation service ACAS.
The union said that the Piccadilly line dispute has been resolved, and talks will continue on the other matter.
However, commuters and other rail users in the south east of England will continue to be affected by a three-day strike by Southern Rail conductors in a long running dispute over proposed changes to the role of guards.
"Talks with London Underground have proved to be positive and focussed and as a result we have been able to make enough significant progress to allow us to suspend the strike action in both disputes that was scheduled for tomorrow evening.
“There is no question that the advances we have made have been down to the strength and resilience of our members in the workplace backed up by a determined and professional negotiating team. The solidarity that led to the resounding ballots for action has been absolutely decisive.
“The union thanks its members and its officers for the exceptional display of unity which has enabled us to make serious progress in resolving the issues at the heart of these disputes.”
The independent travel watchdog 'Transport Focus' has given its response to the news that rail fares will rise by an average of 2.3% from 2nd January 2017. The organisation looks after the rights of transport users - including people who travel by train.
“Passengers will be disappointed that fares will rise by 2.3 per cent - higher than the last two years. Passengers will now want to see the industry’s investment deliver a more reliable day-to-day railway. The Government should consider setting rail fare rises around the Consumer Prices Index instead to bring rail fares into line with other recognised measures of inflation.
“Many commuters, in London and the south east in particular, have suffered poor performance. For Southern passengers the one-off refund will be a welcome step to rebuilding trust in the long term. The 15-minute Delay Repay compensation on Govia Thameslink Railway starting next week is a welcome improvement for passengers.”