Live updates

Advertisement

Goodwood Festival of Speed continues until Sunday

Goodwood Festival of Speed is underway

The annual Goodwood Festival of Speed continues in earnest today at Goodwood House in West Sussex. This year's centrepiece is a sculpture celebrating 120 years of Mercedes Benz involvement in motor sport.

Sculpture celebrating one hundred and twenty years of Mercedes Benz

Visitors on Friday will have the chance to watch drivers try out the hill climb.

Mother & daughter struggling in sea rescued by RNLI

RNLI lifeguards in Littlehampton have carried out their first rescue of the season today. A mother and daughter - both adults - were struggling with their inflatable in a strong offshore breeze off Littlehampton East beach in West Sussex.

RNLI lifeguard Brittany Jones, spotted the two women and paddeled out to them using her rescue board. She then helped them to keep afloat until ifeguards from Littlehampton West Tim Walton and Dan Seagrove Castle were able to launch the inshore rescue boat to bring them all safely to shore.

RNLI lifeguards will patrol the beaches at Littlehampton until 7 September.

‘It was a busy day on the beach, but I spotted the two women just outside of the lifeguard zone and they looked like they were having trouble getting back to shore.

‘It’s situations like this where your training really kicks in. Thankfully, it was a happy ending, but we would advise all those visiting a beach to stay in an area where the lifeguards can see you, and if in danger, call for help immediately.’

– Brittany Jones, RNLI lifeguard

Man's body found at waste site "could have slept in bin"

Police are investigating whether a Hastings man, whose body was found at a waste disposal site in West Sussex, may have fallen asleep in a bin.

Ben Far, from St Leonards, was discovered at the Rudford Industrial estate near Ford on Tuesday.

A post mortem examination showed the 28-year-old died from being crushed.

Detective Inspector Jim McKnight said:

It is likely that Ben's body was brought to the site by lorry having been taken from a commercial refuse bin. The refuse bin could be from a number of locations but is likely to be from a coastal location in West Sussex.

His death is being treated as unexplained and the investigation is ongoing into the circumstances.

We are appealing to anyone who may have seen or heard from Ben from April 15th to contact police with information as we are trying to build up a picture of his movements.

Ben had links to St Leonards and Hastings and was also known to frequent the Brighton area.

– Detective Inspector Jim McKnight, Sussex Police

Advertisement

'Crushed body' identified at waste centre site

Ben Farr has been named as the man who was found at the wast site on Tuesday Credit: Sussex Police

Police have identified a man who was found dead at a waste centre in Ford as 28-year-old Ben Farr.

The post mortem revealed he died from crushing injuries. His family have been informed.

Police were called shortly before 9am on Tuesday to reports a body had been found at the Rudford Industrial Estate near Ford.

Detective Inspector Jim McKnight said: "It is likely that Ben's body was brought to the site by lorry having been taken from a commercial refuse bin. The refuse bin could be from a number of locations but is likely to be from a coastal location in West Sussex.

"His death is being treated as unexplained and the investigation is ongoing into the circumstances. We are appealing to anyone who may have seen or heard from Ben from 15 April to contact police with information as we are trying to build up a picture of his movements."

Body of a man found at West Sussex industrial estate

A man's body has been found at a waste site on an industrial estate in West Sussex.

The body was discovered at Rudford Industrial Estate near Ford.

Sussex Police are investigating the scene and have said the man's death is being treated as unexplained.

The site where the body was found lies to the east of Ford Open Prison.

Gatwick sees 5% rise in passengers

The airport has seen a 5% rise in passengers in March Credit: ITV Meridian

There has been an increase in the number of passengers flying through Gatwick last month.

The West Sussex airport handled more than 2.7 million passengers in March - a 5% rise since March 2013.

The rise came despite a dip in North Atlantic traffic and no US Airways flights from Gatwick in 2013.

Gatwick bosses are hoping that the summer's launch of three new Norwegian Air Shuttle routes to America will help increase traffic to the region.

Last week, the House of Commons Transport Committee criticised Gatwick and its handling of the Christmas Eve crisis when flooding caused a power failure which led to flight cancellations.

Load more updates