A 14 year old boy who died after a crash involving a lorry in Weymouth in Dorset has been described by his family as 'irreplaceable'.Read the full story ›
The partner of a man crushed to death under his boat says he was a wonderful man. Kevin Keeler was carrying out repairs when it happened.Read the full story ›
The man in his seventies was punched in the head after he tried to stop three men stealing his bikeRead the full story ›
Thousands of sailors are taking part in races around the world in memory of Dorset sailor Andrew 'Bart' SimpsonRead the full story ›
Homeowners have been left devastated after a pick up truck smashed into their house and left the sceneRead the full story ›
A man has been jailed for a firearm offence in Dorset - after being spotted brandishing a gun in the street and threatening three teenage girls.
23-year-old, James William Rosser, was seen waving a gun around in the street at Magnolia Close, in Weymouth, at around 8.44pm on Saturday 11th February. During the incident, he confronted three teenage girls in an alleyway, pointing the weapon at them and asking if they'd seen any boys around and - as they hadn't - Rosser instructed the girls to tell the boys they were going to be shot.
Police arrested Rosser at an address on the same street the following day. An air pistol and ammunition were seized.
Rosser was jailed for sixteen months for possessing an air weapon with intent to cause fear of violence.
Dorset Police believe a body found off the coast near Weymouth is that of missing fisherman Andrew Scott.
Officers were called to water close to White Nothe at 10.55am this morning, after reports that a man's body had been sighted.
Although formal identification has not yet taken place, the body is believed to be that of the missing spear fisherman.
Andrew Scott, 27 and of Winterborne Whitechurch, left home between 3pm and 4pm on Monday 10 July, but failed to return as expected.
His family have been informed of the discovery and the coroner has been notified.
His death is not being treated as suspicious and Dorset Police say their thoughts are with Andrew’s family at this difficult time.
A former Weymouth headteacher has been jailed for four years for indecently assaulting a pupil in the 1990s.
David Akers, 61, from Waddon in Weymouth, was found guilty of three counts of indecent assault following a nine-day trial. He was found not guilty of three other counts of indecent assault.
Akers has been placed on the Sex Offenders Register for life.
Akers had been working as deputy headteacher at Budmouth School when he befriended a schoolgirl, under 16, and would drive her to remote locations and indecently assault her.
The offences came to light when she told her partner and her friends in 2015.
In police interview Akers said he knew the victim as she was a former pupil, but denied there had been any sexual contact with the girl.
David Akers was in a position of trust and abused that trust to engage in an inappropriate relationship with a pupil.
I wish to pay tribute to the victim in this case for her bravery in coming forward and reporting these offences.
I would like to thank the school and partner agencies who worked with Dorset Police throughout this investigation.I hope this conviction and sentence sends out a very clear message that Dorset Police takes all sexual allegations seriously, no matter when they were committed, and ensure victims are listened to and offenders are brought to justice."
A man has been arrested following an incident involving a firearm in Weymouth.
Police were called at 8.43pm yesterday, Saturday 11 February, after reports of a man carrying a handgun in Magnolia Close in Weymouth.
A 22-year-old Weymouth man was arrested this afternoon on suspicion of possessing an imitation firearm with intent to cause fear of violence. He is currently assisting police with enquiries.
An imitation firearm has also been recovered.
Police are not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident.
Police in Weymouth are appealing for witnesses after a man was spotted with a firearm in the town.
Officers were called to Magnolia Close at 8.343pm on Saturday 11 February following a report of a man carrying a handgun.
Police, including armed officers, attended the address and a search of the area was carried out, however the man was not located.
Detective Inspector Neil Wright, of Dorset Police, said: “I would like to reassure people that we do not believe there is any threat to the general public.
“I would like to hear from anyone who may have witnessed the incident, or has any information that could assist with the investigation to come forward.