Live updates

  1. National

2,000 Tesco jobs at risk as store closure list revealed

Tesco Credit: PA Wire

Around 2,000 Tesco workers have been told their jobs are at risk after the supermarket giant announced the location of 43 store closures.

Seven superstores and six Homeplus outlets are among the unprofitable shops identified for closure by new chief executive Dave Lewis.

Mr Lewis said: "The decision to close the stores has been exceptionally difficult to take. I recognise it will affect many hard-working colleagues, our customers and local communities.

"Our priority is to explain what this announcement means for our colleagues and, wherever possible, offer them alternative roles with Tesco."

Advertisement

Planned ambulance strike action cancelled

Strike action will no longer go ahead tomorrow

South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust has announced that planned strike action by its staff will no longer go ahead.

The Trust says it was notified by Unison, Unite and GMB of their intention to strike on Thursday 29 January, but that following talks between unions and the government, the action has been suspended.

We welcome the suspension which means we can concentrate on business as usual.

We recognise the right of our employees to strike and in light of this action we had been continuing to work closely with all our staff, partners and the public to help us reduce demand on our services and help us to continue to protect our patients and achieve an adequate and safe level of 999, 111 and PTS cover.

– South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust

Advertisement

First of 1400 cars are off-loaded from rescued ship

For sale - nearly new 4x4 Credit: PA

The first of the hundreds of cars which made up the cargo of the rescued car carrier Hoegh Osaka have started to be off-loaded.

Four tugs towed the 51,000-tonne ship back into Southampton Port last Thursday after it had become stranded for a total of 19 days off the Hampshire coast.

Some of the vehicles are noticeably damaged Credit: PA

A spokesman for ship owners Hoegh Autoliners said that most of the cars had survived unscathed, while some had suffered dents and scratches.

An excavator had shifted punching a hole in the hull causing 3,000 tonnes of water to flood some of the car decks. The spokesman said that the condition of cars in this area was not yet known although "a small number" were under water.

1400 cars and agricultural machinery were on board Credit: PA

They were unloading the cargo for most of today, that involved driving the vehicles off, primarily the cars, some Minis and Land Rovers, but not much of the heavy equipment has moved off yet.

"They are expecting the full discharge process to be finished by the end of this week or by early next week depending on how quickly they can get them off.

– Hoegh Autoliners spokesman

Damaged cars taken off stricken ship

Damaged Land Rover removed from Hoegh Osaka Credit: ITV Meridian

Damaged cars including Land Rovers have been driven off the stricken carrier Hoegh Osaka.

The 51,000-tonne ship has a cargo for 1,400 cars and 105 pieces of construction equipment worth a total of £60 million.

ITV News Meridian has filmed a number of damaged vehicles being removed today.

Load more updates