Surrey Fire and Rescue Service were called to a fire burning in around eight hectares of heathland and woodland yesterday afternoon. A number of fire engines, specialist off-road vehicles and firefighters were sent to the scene.
As the weather is set to remain warm and dry Surrey Fire and Rescue Service is urging people to enjoy the countryside safely.
Tips on staying safe and protecting Surrey’s countryside include:
- ensure cigarettes and other smoking materials are fully extinguished
- only use barbecues in suitable area and never leave them unattended
- don’t leave bottles or glass in woodlands – sunlight shining through glass can start fires
- avoid lighting open fires in the countryside
- If you see a fire in the countryside:
- dial 999 and report it immediately to the Fire and Rescue Service
- do not try to tackle the fire if it can’t be put out with a bucket of water – leave the area as quickly as possible