Live updates

Dog starts fire and then has to be rescued

A dog which started a fire by turning on the electric hob in a flat in Oxfordshire has been rescued by firefighters.

Crews were called to a report of a smoke alarm at New Road in Woodstock - when they arrived they found the dog in a first floor flat.

It's thought the dog was trying to get to some treats which were on top of the cooker and turned it on.

"It was lucky a neighbour heard the smoke alarm and alerted the fire and rescue service at an early stage, this certainly prevented the incident from being much worse."

– Watch Manager Ellis Bicknell

Advertisement

Woman dies after house fire in Oxfordshire

Tributes have been left at the scene of a fire which claimed the life of an elderly woman.

The body of a woman in her seventies was found after a fire at a house in Woodstock in Oxfordshire.

Around twenty firefighters were called to the property on Green Lane at about 1.30am yesterday.

Thames Valley Police said the fire is not believed to be suspicious at this stage of their investigation. The woman's next-of-kin have been informed.

Woman's body found after fire in Woodstock

The body of a woman in her seventies has been found after a fire at a house in Woodstock in Oxfordshire. Around twenty firefighters were called to the property on Green Lane at about 1.30am this morning.

Thames Valley Police said the fire is not believed to be suspicious at this stage of their investigation.

The woman's next-of-kin have been informed.