Rail officials went to the High Court today to try to stop Southern train drivers going on strike next week.
Members of ASLEF are due to walk out on Tuesday, bringing the service to a standstill. The rail company claims the action breaks European law.
The High Court is expected to give judgement tomorrow. But if the train drivers do strike next week, it will bring the Southern service to a standstill.
Malcolm Shaw reports:
A driver from Kent who fell asleep at the wheel has been reunited with the emergency services crews who saved his life.
Simon Oakley was driving through Faversham after a night-shift when he was overcome by sleep and veered head on into an oncoming lorry. He says he hopes his story will act as a warning to others:
Rail passengers are facing lengthy delays this morning following a power cut at Basingstoke's signalling centre.
South West Trains trains across Farnborough and Basingstoke are affected, with major disruption to the services.
SWT has apologised to passengers and advised a National Grid power failure is the cause of the problems. A SWT spokesperson said their engineers have worked overnight to fix the "extensive damage" caused by the power cut and the majority of the signalling equipment had been fixed early this morning:
Services between London Waterloo, Bournemouth and Weymouth will remain significantly disrupted for some time.
We are not able to run trains between Bournemouth and Weymouth at this time, and our engineers are still working on a estimate for the repairs to these systems.
A number of buses are in place and running between Weymouth and Poole, however, these are not running to a timetable at this time. You may face a significant wait for replacement transport to arrive. We are attempting to source more buses, and will work to arrange a timetabled service so that you are able to plan your journey more effectively.
Slow traffic due to earlier accident, multiple cars involved on M23 Southbound between M25 J7 and J9 M23 (Gatwick Airport). All lanes have been re-opened.
As a three-day strike by train guards on Southern Rail continues, ITV Meridian presenter Sangeeta Bhabra spoke to Alex Foulds, Deputy Chief Operating Officer Govia Thameslink. She began by asking him when the dispute was going to be resolved.
The emergency services remain at the scene where a car crashed into a building, leading to the structure's partial collapse.
It happened on the A27 Arundel Road, westbound in Angmering, West Sussex. The road is expected to be shut into the rush hour.
The Southern rail dispute has caused almost seven months of misery for commuters who use the line - and today saw the start of the latest three-day walkout by guards in an ongoing row over the proposed introduction of driver-only trains on the network. The train conductors' strike will last until the evening of Thursday 8th December.
The train operator, Southern, has warned its customers to expect continued disruption with more strikes to follow, including industrial action next week from train drivers who are due to stage their own walkout next week.
Buses replaced trains from Ashford International and Hastings - to Eastbourne today.
There was a reduced service from Eastbourne and Lewes into Brighton, up to Gatwick and into London Bridge and Victoria.
Trains from Tonbridge to Redhill were also reduced. And after seeing trains reinstated at the end of September, replacement buses have returned to and from the coastal town of Seaford in Sussex.
From the look of some of the region's railway stations, it seems as though many commuters may have just given up on trying to use the trains at all - instead finding other ways to get around. Malcolm Shaw reports.
- Tuesday 6 to Thursday 8 December (RMT conductors' strike)
- Tuesday 13 & Weds 14 December (ASLEF & RMT drivers' strike)
- Friday 16 December (ASLEF and RMT drivers' strike)
- Monday 19 to Tuesday 20 December (RMT conductors' strike)
- Saturday 31 December to Monday 2 Jan (RMT conductors' strike)
- Monday 9 to Saturday 14 Jan (ASLEF and RMT drivers' strike)
A few RMT union members were gathered at Brighton railway station on the picket line to mark the start of their three day strike over proposed changes to the role of guards on Southern trains.
Garry Hassell, from the RMT, said he knew the disruption was difficult for commuters, but the strikers were hoping to achieve a long term goal..
Three days of strike by the RMT union began today as part of an ongoing row over planned changes to the role of the conductor.
RMT General secretary released a statement calling on the government to meet with union members to end the disruption.
Our guards members on Southern Rail remain rock solid and absolutely determined in their action in defence of rail safety this morning.
Passengers are being advised to check their journey before travelling.
Transport Secretary Chris Grayling believes Network Rail should share the responsibility with private train operating companies.Read the full story ›