Advertisement

Petrol panic buying

Two petrol stations at Christchurch in Dorset were closed by police this afternoon. Queues to get into the garages caused traffic problems.

View all 30 updates ›
  1. Adam Clark

Warning not to store fuel after woman suffers burns

Wiltshire Fire & Rescue Service has reminded people not to store fuel in their homes, after a woman in Yorkshire was badly burned in an explosion.

The woman accidentally set fire to herself after trying to decant petrol from one container to another using a jug in her kitchen.

The petrol vapours were ignited by the gas cooker.

Area Manager John Popowicz said: “Given that there is no industrial action affecting fuel supplies as yet, our advice would be to not store fuel at home, as it is a significant fire risk.

"If you do need to have flammable materials on your premises, you should never bring them into the domestic part of the home."

More on this story