Firefighters have issued an urgent safety warning about electrical equipment following a house fire in Gravesend last night.
Two crews tackled the blaze in a second floor bedroom in Russell Road. The fire is believed to have started in a damaged, old fashioned extension lead that had been left on.
It began smouldering and started a slow burning fire in the carpet, totally destroying the bedroom.
Crew Manager Tim Green said: “Thanks to the working smoke alarm the homeowners got the early warning needed and managed to get out of their home safely and call 999.
“Many accidental fires, like this one, begin with an electrical appliance, so it’s really important that you make sure all your electrical appliances are in good working order and not used if they are damaged in any way.”
More top news
Sunny this evening, then dry overnight. There is the risk of thundery showers for Kent tomorrow morning, then sunny spells by the afternoon
Sunshine to end the day then dry tonight. Tomorrow will be mostly dry and feeling fresher with the risk of a heavy shower in the afternoon
The video, obtained by ITV News, shows scores of migrants desperately trying to board lorries in a restricted area within the tunnel.