A gas distribution company has issued a stark warning after it emerged that an explosion that destroyed a house in Southsea was caused by the cooker being left on.
Following an investigation it has emerged that gas mains and services in the area are sound and have not contributed to the incident.
"We can also confirm the explosion was caused by the gas cooker being left on," said Chloe Boyce, a spokeswoman for Southern Gas Networks.
"We've isolated the gas supply and done further checks which show there are no gas readings at all in the area.
"This is a stark reminder to everyone to check gas appliances are fully turned off before they go to bed or leave their house. If anyone smells gas they should contact the National Gas Emergency Number on 0800 111 999.
"Our thoughts are with the gentleman who has been injured today."
More top news
Sunny this evening, then dry overnight. There is the risk of thundery showers for Kent tomorrow morning, then sunny spells by the afternoon
Sunshine to end the day then dry tonight. Tomorrow will be mostly dry and feeling fresher with the risk of a heavy shower in the afternoon
The video, obtained by ITV News, shows scores of migrants desperately trying to board lorries in a restricted area within the tunnel.