A Kent double glazing company has been fined for safety failiures after building a conservatory over a gas flue.
Family firm Supaglazing, of Strood, was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive for breaching gas safety regulations for the second time.
Dartford Magistrates Court was told that the firm’s workers built the conservatory over an existing flue for a boiler at a property on Beavor Road, Allington, Maidstone, so there was no escape route for gases and other combustion products.
A woman who was pregnant and a child were living in the home.
The incident came to light after an engineer visited the house to give an estimate for relocating the flue.
The firm, with outlets in Dartford and Sittingbourne, admitted breaching the gas safety regulations between 23 July and 2 October 2010. It was fined £14,000 and ordered to pay £2,826 in costs.
More top news
Rain becoming more persistent overnight. Rain and cloud slow to clear tomorrow but becoming dry by the afternoon. Some brightness later
Rain becoming more persistent overnight. The rain gradually clearing tomorrow morning then sunny spells for the afternoon, feeling cooler
Becoming brighter with warm sunny spells developing this afternoon but also the risk of heavy showers