A man in his thirties is being treated for burns in hospital after accidentally setting himself on fire while lighting a bonfire. Kent Fire & Rescue Service were called to allotments on Stirling Way in Ramsgate at around 6.10pm on Thursday October 4.
The man's injuries are not said to be life threatening.
"We're coming to that time of year when people use bonfires to clear their gardens but we urge them to treat these types of fires with extreme care and follow our safety steps to avoid serious injury or causing an out-of-control fire."
Kent Fire & Rescue Service have issued some top tips for a safe outdoor fire:
- Never leave a bonfire unattended
- Set well away from houses, garages, sheds, fences, overhead cables, trees and shrubs.
- Before lighting, check that no animals are hiding inside it.
- Build the stack so it's stable and will not collapse outwards or to one side.
- Never use flammable liquids - paraffin or petrol - to light the fire.
- Don't burn foam-filled furniture, aerosols, and tins of paint or bottles.
- Keep children away from the fire.
- Keep a buckets of water or garden hose ready in case of an emergency.
- Once the fire has burnt out, before you leave it pour a bucket of water on the embers.
More top news
Triple killer Tobin 'definitely left other victims' says detective. Two of his victims were found buried at his former home in Margate
A 35-year-old man has been arrested by police investigating claims that Pippa Middleton's iCloud account was hacked.
The family of a woman who died at a flat in Bournemouth have paid tribute to her, as police refer her murder case to the IPCC