Call for alarms after gas death

The family of a newlywed who died from gas poisoning is calling for carbon monoxide alarms to be fitted in all homes. Katie Haines was overcome by fumes from a leaking boiler at her home in Wokingham two years ago.

View all 5 updates ›

Get your boilers checked - a warning from the HPA

To mark the start of Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week, the Health Protection Agency is advising peopleto have their fossil fuel and wood burning appliances – such as boilers,heaters and cookers – checked by an appropriately registered engineerbefore the winter sets in.

The latest figures show that there are around 40 accidental deaths a year from carbon monoxide poisoning in England and Wales

Many of these deaths take place between Novemberand February due to faulty fossil fuel and wood burning appliances, and aretherefore preventable. To lower the risk, people should ensure thattheir fossil fuel and wood burning appliances are regularly checked by anappropriately registered engineer. The HPA recommends that people have theseappliances and their flues checked before the start of winter. Rooms in whichappliances are used must also be adequately ventilated.

– Dr John Harrison, Health Protection Agency

More top news