A fire is thought to have started after a dog accidentally turned on the hob in a Dartford home yesterday afternoon. Two fire engines from Dartford were sent to the two-storey house in Willow Road at 12.13pm after the homeowner called 999.
Firefighters discovered that the homeowner had been doing some laundry and had left the next load on top of the hob. She then went to collect her daughter from nursery and returned to find smoke coming out of her house.
Just three breaths of fire smoke can knock you unconscious so don’t put yourself at risk by stopping to investigate the fire or to collect pets or valuables. Just tell the fire crews when they arrive – we’ll be able to find them quicker and more safely than you. The safest option is to make sure cookers and other appliances are always fully switched off after use and never store items around ovens and hobs.
The fire destroyed 20% of the kitchen and caused smoke damage throughout the house. To get fire safety advice click here.
More top news
United in silence. People in the Thames Valley came together today to remember those killed and injured in the Manchester terror attack.
The South stood silent today - from Brighton to Basingstoke - to remember those killed and injured in the Manchester terror attack.
After the deaths of seven people at Camber Sands last summer, lifeguards will be patrolling there for the first time from this weekend.