An elderly lady was rescued from a developing fire in her flat thanks to the quick actions of Hampshire firefighters.
A member of the public called 999 after hearing the sound of a smoke alarm coming from the lady's flat on Glenleigh Avenue, Cosham on Friday evening (March 1).
The first crew from Cosham was on the scene within minutes. Having been initially told there was no-one in the flat, the crew was then informed that a lady had recently moved in.
The crew took the decision to force entry and discovered a chair alight in the lounge.
They were able to lift the 60-year-old lady out of the chair and carry her out of the ground-floor flat. She was given first aid treatment by the crews before being handed into the care of South Central Ambulance Service. She suffered severe burns and smoke inhalation and was taken to hospital.
More top news
A dull and damp start but it will become drier and brighter from the north this afternoon but stay cold and windy.
A damp and cold night ahead. Valentine's Day will start cloudy but become brighter in the afternoon. Risk of showers along the Kent coast.
Cold and damp tonight with outbreaks of rain. A cold and dull start to Valentine's Day but becoming drier and brighter by the afternoon.