There is no question the quick thinking of both the member of the public who raised the alarm and the first crews on the scene prevented a more serious situation. The caller's actions allowed us to get to the scene quickly and the crew's decision to act as if there was a person inside the flat meant we were able to rescue the lady before the fire developed any further. This incident again proves the benefit of a working smoke alarm. Without it, the member of the public would not have been aware of the fire inside the lady's flat and we would not have been able to reach her so quickly.
It is believed the fire was caused by smoking materials.
Two crews from Cosham and one from Havant used one hose reel to extinguish the fire in the house.
More top news
A man has been taken to hospital with serious injuries after being beaten by a gang of 10 in the early hours of this morning.
Southern Railway said it expects to run three quarters of its normal service during a fresh 24-hour strike by some of its staff next week.
It's not often you get the chance to sunbathe in February, but crowds swarmed to Brighton beach yesterday. A few tops even came off!