A house fire in the Copthorne area of Crawley which killed two people is believed to have been started by cigarettes.
The fire early on Saturday Morning claimed the lives of an 83 year old woman and her 52 year old son.
Deputy Safer Communities Manager for West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service, Adrian Carter, said: "This is a tragic accident that has sadly taken the lives of two people from the same family but it highlights the real dangers that can be caused as a result of cigarettes and smoking.
"Smoking related fires are still the biggest killers in accidental fires in the home resulting in a third of all fire related deaths."
More top news
A man who put a powerful hallucinogenic substance into a woman's drink has been jailed.
More than 30 firefighters tackled a large industrial fire which involved toxic chemicals.
Southern Water has been found guilty to breaching regulations that led to forty million litres of raw sewage being released into the sea.