A mother and toddler were saved from their home in Fareham this afternoon thanks to their smoke alarm.
Fareham crews were called to Hillson Drive in the Hill Park area at 1pm to a fire in a ground floor living room.
The mother and child were upstairs but managed to escape through the front door, thanks to the early detection of smoke from their alarm.
The blaze was under control within an hour but there was a considerable amount of damage to the living room and smoke damage to the rest of the house.
Crew Manager Mark Ryder said, "The mother heard the alarm activating downstairs and saw the living room on fire.
"Considering how quickly the fire developed, had she not had the warning from the smoke alarm she could have been trapped upstairs."
More top news
A nine year old boy is undertaking a huge challenge to visit every fire station in the United Kingdom to raise money for charity.
Higher education funding cuts are harmful and a false economy, the outgoing vice chancellor of Oxford University has warned.
Two members of Mayflower Theatre were named Outstanding at this year’s Technical Theatre Awards in London this week.