An Oxford man managed to escape a fire in his Oxford flat after his smoke alarm alerted him to smoke in his bedroom.
On the 3rd November at 11.24am, Oxfordshire County Council Fire and Rescue Service were called to a flat fire in Abingdon.
The elderly man initially tried to tackle the fire but then called the fire service who extinguished the heavily smoke logged property.
The fire was believed to have been caused by a defective electric blanket, which had set alight to the bedding, spreading to the rest of the bedroom.
This is another example of when a smoke alarm has saved lives! We would like to remind people to check that they have working smoke alarms in their homes.This flat had working smoke alarms, so for the rest of 2013 make it your resolution to ensure that you have working smoke alarms on each level of your house and check them on a regular basis.
The Incident also highlights the importance of having your electric blanket tested before use each year, this service is offered free of charge by Oxfordshire County Council’s Fire and Rescue Service."
More top news
An RAC poll of 2,000 UK motorists found just 36% could correctly state that offenders now face six penalty points and a £200 fine.
Brexit, crime and web addiction all make the front pages on Saturday.
The Isle of Wight festival is celebrating its 50th anniversary with The Killers, Kasabian and Liam Gallagher among the headliners.