One of the Government's flagship free schools has been ordered to close amid continuing concerns about the standard of education it is offering. Discovery New School in Crawley, West Sussex, has been told it must shut its doors on April 4 - the first time this kind of action has been taken.
In a letter to the school's chairman of governors, Chris Cook, Schools Minister Lord Nash said he was terminating its funding agreement. Discovery New School was declared failing and placed in special measures by watchdog Ofsted in May.
A Department for Education (DfE) spokesman said it had been monitoring the school's progress and found it was not making the changes required to improve standards.
More top news
Tuesday evening's weather for the west of the region
Tuesday evening's weather for the east of the region
England's leading test run scorer Alastair Cook visits a Kent school to encourage more children to play cricket